cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

On the road Aug 19 - 23 Traffic Volume (Eclipse)

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Any comments from those of you currently on the road (eclipse fan or not) regarding volume of traffic you've encountered? Any signs the predictions of traffic nightmares are true?
14 REPLIES 14

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that contributed.
OP

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
I was headed north on I39 in Northern Illinois Monday night between 9 and 10. Normally very light traffic that time of night, but it was quite heavy, with a lot of Wisconsin license plates. Then there was a long backup at the state line, caused by a combination of the heavier than usual traffic and construction right at the line that funneled 3 lines into one. Fortunately (for me) Waze knew about it and routed me around it.
Stu
Jayco King 8 PUP (1986-2014 - RIP, little friend :()

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Post-eclipse traffic has been heavy, though, in southeast Idaho. I think folks came here over multiple days, but everybody's leaving at once!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
My son went to Madras area on Saturday. I've been looking a Tripcheck, which has a lot of new traffic info just in time for this event. I didn't see much in the way of back ups before, though there have been news stories about slow traffic. Right before the eclipse some of the wayside web cams showed a lot of parked cars. But after there's a lot of stop-n-go on US97 between Raymond and Madras. Also around Biggs Junction (97/82)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We've been in Lincoln City, OR and Depoe Bay, OR and didn't notice an influx of traffic from earlier in the week to the weekend.

We haven't ventured out today at all.

And we depart to head down to Klamath River, CA tomorrow. As of now, I think we'll be alright.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Tenn DOT already has signs up on I-40 east of Jackson warning not to park on side of interstate to see eclipse. and not to stop for it. Probably won't be a problem, traffic will be backed up from the river crossing on in to and out of Nashville. We are staying home, Saw one years ago, they are all the same. Gets daark, then it get light again... or so we hope.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Just google it.

There are a ton of pictures where the traffic is already backed up and people just standing on the side of the road. Some of them started 2 days ago!
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=pictures+of+roads+backed+up+for+eclipse+2017&oq=Pictures+o...

They even have links for 'live' updates.

And just like any holiday and/or event. People slowly come in over the course of a few days. BUT when it's over ALL of them hit the road on the SAME day! Real glad I am too far south for all that nonsense.:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We left western NC Friday afternoon after seeing how bad traffic was on I-75 north of Atlanta the day before. Sure enough, from Blue Ridge to I-85 was bumper to bumper northbound. We also noted heavy northbound on I-85 & I-185 from Columbus to Atlanta. Once we got into south Georgia, just the usual stuff. lizzie

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The eclipse shadow will travel down I-24 in Tennessee, almost its full length, It will be travelling at 1,800 miles per hour, and there will be a few trying to keep up with it. After its over about 3:00 in the afternoon, Everybody is going to be either get out of town, ao back in because they couldn't earlier. Find a place to hunker down and don't try to move till Tuesday at least.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
When I went to church this morning on I-81 in VA the northbound lane was running at 70 mph or better with no problems. The southbound lane looked really slow and backed up. A few hours latter on the way home I heard a guy in the southbound traffic say it was stop and go at about 40 MPH. I took a different route home. I have no idea if it's eclipse related or not. 4 guys I work with all took the day off to go look at the thing. I don't get it.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We're having a number of visitors at Arapaho NWR on C125 just south of Walden, CO that are northbound to Mondays eclipse. DW just coming in for lunch from her bird viewing station on the Wildlife Loop said there were 40 NB vehicles in the 4mile SB trip to to the visitor center. Much more traffic than usual.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
edm3rd wrote:
Any comments from those of you currently on the road (eclipse fan or not) regarding volume of traffic you've encountered? Any signs the predictions of traffic nightmares are true?

So my news is from my son - left Superior, CO after noon and drove over Berthoud Pass - no traffic - drove to Rawlings - arrived Late - got a room in the Hotel No Problem - then today is going up to Camp at a Reservoir (?) and will be in the direct path for Monday.

Simple take the scenic Route, avoid traffic see Colorado, Not someone's Bumper for Hours.

Kids are having a Ball. just very limited Cell Service, so pictures will need to wait till Monday Night. Did get a picture of them on top of the mountain - Clear Sunny - See for Miles. Oh and no one else in the Picture.

It's a REALLY BIG Country just go where they aren't.

Not Fake news just news made News - is that a word? ๐Ÿ˜‰ .. :?

Just having fun,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I was driving on 101 this morning. It's always bad this time of year. The level of stupidity seems extra high. Mabye it follows the eclipse.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
edm3rd wrote:

Not on the road per se, but I was out and about yesterday and had to go over I-25 in Loveland several times. Each time, the traffic northbound was nearly at a standstill, looking both south and north from the overpass. As far north as I could see, it was traffic at a virtual crawl. And news reports confirmed that traffic during the afternoon was as heavy as what I'd seen. And this was on Saturday, August 19th in mid-afternoon.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.