cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North Carolina to Connecticut

johnnyg2449
Explorer
Explorer
We will be heading up to Hartford Connecticut from North Carolina the second week of July. What are some possible routes that avoid I-95 through New York? Best hours of the day to avoid traffic and tolls, etc.We are planning on at least 2 days of driving with most being mid day in the day to early evening.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
ct1964ups wrote:
DrewE wrote:
johnnyg2449 wrote:
Thanks!, This will be our first trip thats over 300 miles, and I want it to be as stress free as possible!LOL

Just think of this longer trip as a series of shorter trips, each under 300 miles, strung together end to end. That's all it is, really. There's no need to stress because you're crossing more state lines over the course of more days.

Ready,here we go .....up 95 into Va.....take Rt 17 north toward Warrenton,Va...stay on 17 north ,take by pass around Warrenton heading to I -66 toward Winchester,Va....66 for 25 miles right up to I-81 ......stay on 81 into Pa....Can stay at Western Village in Carlisle,Pa....from 81 pass Harrisburg,Pa take I-78 to I-287 NORTH...you are on 287 for 45 miles to Suffern...take I-87 NORTH FOR about 34 miles to Newburgh,NY go I-84 East into Connecticut,straight into Hartford.....Best Route I've found...for traffic and road conditions.....C
Any question feel free to reach out...C

Maybe $17.00 + or- a few $$....tolls on 87 North and Newburgh Bridge.....C

????????
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

johnnyg2449
Explorer
Explorer
The routes suggested worked great! I kinda combined them a little and spent the night in Carlisle PA and only had to pay $9.00 in tolls. Cane back via I95( not towing camper) and tolls were $88.00- huge difference, thanks again! Repeating the trip back to Connecticut today, I have the trailer at Nicker sons Campground in Chaplin Ct-- nice park!

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
DrewE wrote:
johnnyg2449 wrote:
Thanks!, This will be our first trip thats over 300 miles, and I want it to be as stress free as possible!LOL

Just think of this longer trip as a series of shorter trips, each under 300 miles, strung together end to end. That's all it is, really. There's no need to stress because you're crossing more state lines over the course of more days.

Ready,here we go .....up 95 into Va.....take Rt 17 north toward Warrenton,Va...stay on 17 north ,take by pass around Warrenton heading to I -66 toward Winchester,Va....66 for 25 miles right up to I-81 ......stay on 81 into Pa....Can stay at Western Village in Carlisle,Pa....from 81 pass Harrisburg,Pa take I-78 to I-287 NORTH...you are on 287 for 45 miles to Suffern...take I-87 NORTH FOR about 34 miles to Newburgh,NY go I-84 East into Connecticut,straight into Hartford.....Best Route I've found...for traffic and road conditions.....C

Maybe $17.00 + or- a few $$....tolls on 87 North and Newburgh Bridge.....C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
GO NOLES

johnnyg2449
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!I've been looking at the route you've suggested and I definitely like it so I plan to use it. Can you give any idea about how much the tolls are going to be or do you know of a website that can tell me? Thanks again!

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
johnnyg2449 wrote:

GO NOLES

johnnyg2449
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Wasn't aware of the propane/tunnel issue.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I-95 in the DC - Baltimore area is just as bad as NYC. Plus you cannot go thru any tunnel in Baltimore with propane. The go around is I-695 using the Key Bridge. I suggest you leave I-95 in Virginia.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

johnnyg2449
Explorer
Explorer
We live just outside of Fayetteville, and plan to go via I-95 to at least Delaware or mid state Virginia. I know a few people that have taken 1-95 through New York- even though they said it isn't that bad, their travel stories have me thinking that it probably is!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
johnnyg2449 wrote:

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I/77 to I/81 to I/84 right into Hartford You still didn't say where in NC you're starting from. The only toll on this route is the Newburgh-Beacon (NY) bridge. It's about $10 for us.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

johnnyg2449
Explorer
Explorer

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Starting from where in NC?
Route from Charlotte or Smokies would be different than one from the Outer Banks.
Either way, I would leave if possible on a Saturday Morning, so you will be going around NYC on Sunday preferably in the AM.

johnnyg2449 wrote:
We will be heading up to Hartford Connecticut from North Carolina the second week of July. What are some possible routes that avoid I-95 through New York? Best hours of the day to avoid traffic and tolls, etc.We are planning on at least 2 days of driving with most being mid day in the day to early evening.

Thanks!

Here is 1 way that works well...

RT 77 north to RT 81 North.. into VA.... Into MD...Into PA... once in Scranton PA, hop onto RT 84 East... 84 East into NY...Into CT..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet