cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New York to Southern NH, 1st year TT driver

VasDrafts
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a 26.5' 5500LB GVWR travel trailer from New York to Southern NH and would love some advice.

The Tow vehicle is a 2016 1/2 ton Chevy, 5.3L/3.42 rears with a WDH hitch, add-a-leafs, Load range E tires, and a brake controller.

Did fine from Eastern pa, up the pa turnpike, to my current location of Central Bridge, NY.

Next leg is Central Bridge, NY(12035) ---> Woodford, VT(05201) ---> Henniker, NH(03242)

I think the trip from Central Bridge, NY to VT will be ok taking google maps suggestion, it's the second leg that has me worried about my capability.

Will I be OK taking route 9 east the majority of the way and just following the truck detour around the bridge in NH?

Or should I consider a more northern, less hilly route. Looks like I can take 7 north to route 4 to 89?

Thanks for any advice you guys could give!
3 REPLIES 3

VasDrafts
Explorer
Explorer
Made the first leg of the trip today. Definitely slowed down to 40 going up 7east, but that was only to keep the revs under 3k.

Still nervous about the second part.

VasDrafts
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Route 4 and I-89 are not precisely devoid of hills, though they may be a little gentler overall.

Route 9 in my opinion should not give you particular trouble; just downshift as necessary on the downhills to keep your speed under control and save your brakes. There are indeed a few pretty good hills on the road, but it's not a trecherous route. If you have to slow down a bit on the uphills, so be it.

Thank you for the opinion. I only found a few people expressing concerns over the route in my search on the net. The twisties with a lot of hills just has me a little nervous about it all. The truck has done mostly fine with keeping speed going uphill. I only have about 1000 miles of experience with towing so I'm still getting the feel for it all.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Route 4 and I-89 are not precisely devoid of hills, though they may be a little gentler overall.

Route 9 in my opinion should not give you particular trouble; just downshift as necessary on the downhills to keep your speed under control and save your brakes. There are indeed a few pretty good hills on the road, but it's not a trecherous route. If you have to slow down a bit on the uphills, so be it.