cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monarch Pass WorkaroundHeading west from Poncha Springs

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Heading west from Poncha Springs, US 50 looks like the best route to Montrose. Wondering if US 285 south to CO 114 is a suitable alternative. 2016 F-250 gasser pulling a 7000lb travel trailer. Looks like either way we'd have to deal with the construction on US 50. I thought I saw a post on this subject but reading back a year on Roads and Routes I cannot find it.
Thanks for your comments. Trip is planned for early August.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS
8 REPLIES 8

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Two passes instead of one. You have to take Poncha Pass on 285 and then Cochetopa Pass on 114 a rough highway and swervy curves towards 50. Monarch has a good highway in comparison. I took 114 back in mid June and construction west of the pass was hairy.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just came thru there yesterday . Construction was no big deal . The work that they are doing is fascinating , some of the workers are hanging over with cables on their belts so as not to fall down the gorge !. Two waits , both less than 20 minutes !

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We normally do not use the interstates. We like US highways along with state primary and secondary highways. Many more scenic and odd places.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Thanks for the helpful comments. This is the 4th cross country trip towing a camper. I've crossed the Rockies on I10, 40 and 80. Was always apprehensive about I70 and Colo in general. The only hill I really remember was Cabbage Hill on I84. Time to see what we've been missing. Thanks again.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 114 is much easier than Monarch. There are some slow curvy sections on the north end but not difficult. I've done it many times in my 36'DP towing full size truck. And MUCH less traffic. Mostly local farmers.
Yes construction on Hwy 50 is still ongoing with full nightly closures except weekends. Typically about 30 minutes to an hour wait. Rough sections on east end with no concrete but pilot car so it's slow.
Hwy 92 is the official bypass around Hwy 50 construction but it is much longer with many curvy sections on the east end which follows the Black Canyon.
You won't save any time going 285 to 114 then back up to 50. There is no way to get around Colorado without going over the passes. Safe travels.
Yes the 50 construction should have been done last year. But may or may not be done this year, probably will go into next year.
Pay attention to the nightly closures. Our cabin is in the construction zone and our community is stuck here at night.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Little Blue Canyon was started in May of 2021. It should be done.
Current road work

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry 25 wrote:
Heading west from Poncha Springs, US 50 looks like the best route to Montrose. Wondering if US 285 south to CO 114 is a suitable alternative. 2016 F-250 gasser pulling a 7000lb travel trailer. Looks like either way we'd have to deal with the construction on US 50. I thought I saw a post on this subject but reading back a year on Roads and Routes I cannot find it.
Thanks for your comments. Trip is planned for early August.

H E R E - US50 Construction is something that might help in your decision. From the looks of it, not as bad as it's been in the past.

On your question about US 285 to CO 114, it's a nice drive, a bit of a different perspective. But it just gets you around Monarch Pass, which, for me, is worth going over if for no other reason than the stop at the top to take the tram up to the summit on the south side of the pass. The vistas are extraordinary there.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Stick with US 50.
Great scenery especially Gunnison Canyon.
Worth more than a quick trip.
Great campground on east end of Blue Mesa Reservoir.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow