cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monarch Pass vs Vail/Eisenhower

pjberny5
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for the easier pull with my 2013 Ram 2500 diesel pulling 3260 Bighorn at the End of April. Will be traveling East on I-70 making my way to Colorado Springs. At Grand Junction can continue on I-70 East and go over Vail and Eisenhower Pass thru Denver to Colorado Springs or take Highway 50 south and west and go over Monarch Pass to get to Colorado Springs. About 1 to 1.5 hrs longer in time going over Monarch put not concerned with the time difference.

Recommendations.
15 REPLIES 15

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
EnzoColorado wrote:
CO-470 from Golden to the junction of I-25 southbound is under construction right now. They're working on adding a lane, but for now it's a narrow two lanes with zero shoulder space for quite a few miles. Out of all the east bound down hill grades, I found the last one east of Idaho Springs approaching Golden to the steepest.

Also recommend Monarch if the weather is good. If not, I'm guessing I-70 will get higher priority from CDOT than Monarch Pass. If you can drive big hills, neither is an issue.

Coming through Monarch Pass, if the cable car on the summit of the pass is operating, the view is fantastic up there. You can then either go up to Buena Vista then east on CO-24 to Colorado Springs, go continue on CO-50 through Bighorn Sheep Canyon and stop at Royal Gorge to see the bridge, do the zip line, then continue up 115 to Colorado Springs.

X2 on the aerial tram that takes you to the top of Monarch Crest on the south side of the pass. Nice little gift/snack shoppe up top and views that are worthy of picture postcards.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
CO-470 from Golden to the junction of I-25 southbound is under construction right now. They're working on adding a lane, but for now it's a narrow two lanes with zero shoulder space for quite a few miles. Out of all the east bound down hill grades, I found the last one east of Idaho Springs approaching Golden to be the steepest.

Also recommend Monarch if the weather is good. If not, I'm guessing I-70 will get higher priority from CDOT than Monarch Pass. If you can drive big hills, neither is an issue.

Coming through Monarch Pass, if the cable car on the summit of the pass is operating, the view is fantastic up there. You can then either go up to Buena Vista then east on CO-24 to Colorado Springs, go continue on CO-50 through Bighorn Sheep Canyon and stop at Royal Gorge to see the bridge, do the zip line, then continue up 115 to Colorado Springs.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Did Monarch just last Sept. Topped the hill and slowed to 35MPH, set the exhaust brake and never touched the service brake pedal all the way down.

I hate the traffic on I-70 and then there is Denver.

No brainer for me.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I hate the I-70 traffic more and more every trip. Monarch Pass would be my choice just for that reason.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Have done both. I much prefer Monarch. Don't like Vail Pass at all, and Monarch route is much prettier! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
For I-70, Vail Pass and the Johnson/Eisenhower Tunnels are not the only concern. Once you descend from the tunnels to the Georgetown area, it's relatively mundane driving, reasonably flat through Idaho Springs. East of Idaho Springs you have the Floyd Hill climb, which, even though guides say it's the same incline as Vail and the tunnels, just always seems steeper to me. And it's a goodly climb to the top. Then, as you approach Denver, you have a long descent to the outskirts of Golden and the intersection with CO 470, which is what I would recommend if you're going to Colorado Springs. There is no reason to go into Denver proper (unless you have a need/desire to go to Denver) when CO 470 will take you around to I-25 south of Denver.

There are other alternatives, such as getting off I-70 east of Eagle on to US 24 and taking that up to Leadville, then continuing down through Buena Vista/Johnson Village, then east on US 285/24 to US 24 through Woodland Park and on down to Colorado Springs.

That said, I would also recommend US 50 up and over Monarch Pass. I just find it a more enjoyable drive.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
Both routes are up and over the mountains, but when we travel west through Colorado its I70 if were just passing through. Now if were there to visit Co and have a extra day or two we love to travel Rt50 a take the views in and snap some pics as we drive along streams and climb to the top of Monarch pass stopping at the top for a 10min break at the top to look at the views.. Oh its a climb to the top in 2nd gear and going down its the same, but no rush just take your time and watch the brakes going down any mountain top can be nerve racking just drop a gear or two and dont ride the brakes if they start getting too hot we pull over and chill for 5mins or so...To us Colorado is all about the Mountains and their views...Enjoy
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers':

Eisenhower descent eastbound is 5-6% for 12 miles.
Vail Pass - about the same for 5 miles then 5 miles of 3-4%

Monarch - descent of 6% for 10 miles

Going up on any mountain will just be slow. You won't be the only one.
Going down - use low gear before you even start heading down - not in the midst of your downhill

We've always done Monarch. We just don't like the traffic on the interstate.

End of April... keep a watch on weather conditions for either drive
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
pjberny5 wrote:
Looking for the easier pull with my 2013 Ram 2500 diesel pulling 3260 Bighorn at the End of April. Will be traveling East on I-70 making my way to Colorado Springs. At Grand Junction can continue on I-70 East and go over Vail and Eisenhower Pass thru Denver to Colorado Springs or take Highway 50 south and west and go over Monarch Pass to get to Colorado Springs. About 1 to 1.5 hrs longer in time going over Monarch put not concerned with the time difference.

Recommendations.

Both are fine - depending on the amount of adventure both can be fun, even in April (Do keep an eye open as it will still snow)

Think you could weave your way on down to Montrose and By missing the traffic in the two Cities time will be similar.

OK , you've talked me into Montrose and as much as I can slide/bump/drive off and see along the way. IMHO never a bad day to drive in Colorado, even in the Snow ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
It would be a " no brainier" for me-- US 50. Vail Pass east bound is a steep winding grade. Then there is a 7 mile pull up to the tunnels. Combine that with all the traffic and speeders makes for a tough drive, IMO.
US50 is 2 lanes most of the way except for an extra lane uphill on Monarch. Traffic is much lighter and speeds slower. And there are small towns like Delta, Gunnison and Salida to explore.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Roads and Routes forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Monarch for us and we tow double only reason for time difference is Hwy 50 is mostly 55 mph us to 65 in sections.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I would go Monarch because the traffic on I-70 will drive you nuts!! Semis, RVers, speeding cars, etc.

Weather is the same factor on either route. Could be 70 degrees or a blizzard. Scenery is great for either route.

Going via Monarch you will have many places to pull over for lunch, rest, viewpoint photos etc. without having the interstate exit ramp hassles.

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the weather and if there is any question at all I think the interstate would be safer. End of April can still be snow and ice and then interstate will prob clear faster.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05