cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michigan to Santa Fe New Mexico

TEACUP
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling from Southeast Michigan to Santa Fe NM in a class A Gas MH. We have been given two different routes I-40 through Oklahoma or US36 through Kansas...Any suggestions??
4 REPLIES 4

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the trip in reverse last year. Left Santa Fe on 412 to 54 to 400 to I-35 then I-70 to I-69.

The trip was peaceful but 54 and 400 were with no traffic and we had no services without going into some local towns.

Good route but not much on the way.

Same answer as you got on 4/27/19 in this forum.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

TEACUP
Explorer
Explorer
Did you find any difficult areas for the larger vehicles, low bridges, narrow roads, mountains etc...The way you went is exactly the route we are looking at.
We had already decided to skip Indiana/Chicago. It shows mileage is shorter, but you can sit in traffic for hours:):)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
This exact subject came up on the forum about two weeks ago, maybe a half-dozen different routes were suggested as best.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Eight years ago we traveled to Santa Fe from SW Michigan. We went down through St. Louis, MO caught I-44, Tulsa, OK City caught I-40, and stayed on I-40 all the way to Cline's Corners where we took US285 up to Santa Fe.

We did it by spending just two nights on the road, one at a Flying J in Joplin, MO and another in Santa Rosa, NM at a campground right in downtown Santa Rosa. We were pulling a 5th wheel. I probably wouldn't do that many miles per day again though.

Without looking at my travel journal I don't recall whether we took I-55 or I-57 down to I-70 to St. Louis. It was hot as we left on a 4th of July morning. You might want to get down to Indianapolis to catch I-70 rather than have anything to do with NW Indiana/Chicago.

We really liked Santa Fe downtown. Lots of adobe. Stayed at Santa Fe Skies RV Park. Great 360 degree views of the area from the park.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator