cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March/April Trip MN -> Grand Canyon -> Vegas -> Utah -> MN

MNPhil
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping to get some route/safety advice for an upcoming trip we're taking. We will leave Minneapolis on March 23, and will return April 6, 7 or 8. We are heading from Minneapolis to the Grand Canyon (Williams, AZ), then on to Las Vegas, north to St. George, UT, and then home again. From what I've been able to gather, taking I 80 through Wyoming will be a bit better than I 70 through Denver, though I hear we've got to pay close attention to the wind!

It seems that the route from Minneapolis to Albuquerque and from Cheyenne back to Minneapolis are pretty simple. I'm wondering if anyone could provide guidance on the rest of the trip? Here are the legs I assume we'll be driving:

-Albuquerque - Williams, AZ

-Williams - Las Vegas

-Las Vegas - St. George, UT

-St. George - Salt Lake City

-Salt Lake City - Cheyenne, WY

We will be towing a 26 foot ultra light with a Dodge Durango. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Phil
7 REPLIES 7

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't go thru Albuquerque. I'd go west on 160 from walsenberg, thru durango and tuba city, then on to the grand canyon.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on the above ^^^^. My favorite WX guy says winter will NOT be over that early so go south and then West since you do not have time to sit it out. Last week I came from Phoenix to Atlanta and used I-10&20 instead of I-40 because of likely bad WX. I was impressed with how good I-20 was the majority of the way and by doing Dallas at midnight sailed right through. Two years ago I used 40 and it was rough in many places plus lots of construction...not so on 20.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
That's kind of early for taking I-80 or I-70. Even on I-40 the highway was closed completely for a snow storm the end of April one year just west of Albuquerque. Check long-range forecasts just before taking off and while you're driving and have an alternate plan or be prepared to sit it out a day or two. Watch for snow and winds.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

AAB
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful at the park entrance your gps may try to take you to the wrong road. Mine did and I was stuck in mud damaged my truck and trailer getting out. Park rangers said it was a common problem with gps. There

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
It would be a nice time of year temperature-wise to visit Arches. Just throwing the idea out there.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
I-80 from SLC to Cheyenne will be different for sure than I-70 through Colorado.

Wind is always a factor in Wyoming; however, in April, it is frequently a tail wind that you'll have when travelling eastbound, as storms will usually (but not always) be coming out of the northwest.

Storms to worry about are the ones that come out of Arizona/New Mexico and move across Colorado and set up in northeast Colorado. These can be goodly snow producers for southern Wyoming. And March and April are snow months in Wyoming as well as in Colorado.

Keep an eye on the weather and be ready and willing to hunker down somewhere for a day or so. Ground blizzards are not uncommon along I-80 with the combo of snow and wind, with stretches of the interstate shut down for a while.

The high point on I-80 is just east of Laramie WY. Something of a climb out of Laramie (at ~7200ft) to about 9600 feet, then it levels off and is pretty much downhill all the way east from there. Rolling hills between Laramie and Cheyenne, then flattens out a bit more from Cheyenne to Pine Bluff and on in to Nebraska.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Any east west route can be subject to gusty cross winds at any time. I actually fought a really nasty cross wind while traveling from Williams to Kingman in March about 8 years ago. It was so bad I had to slow to around 50mph and my arms felt like I was wearing lead weights when we finally cleared the open desert and stopped. I've seen similar conditions on I-70, I-80, and I-90. We were driving a relatively lightweight (8500lbs) camper van on a Chev 3500 Express chassis, and the wind was pounding it at right angles.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)