cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lexington , KY to OBX, NC

campingcasual
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be making this trip on July 5th and 6th. Did a quick Google Maps, and it suggests heading through the Norfolk - Virginia Beach area and coming down into OBx from the North. While I like the idea of entering the area from the north and seeing everything on the way down, we've done trips through Norfolk before and I have no desire to deal with the inevitable traffic there.

Would be great to hear what others recommend for this trip. I would really like to arrive at the beach already somewhat relaxed from a nice smooth drive!
12 REPLIES 12

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes US 64 is good also. The by pass around Asheboro is now open which cuts out one major bottleneck. Bought Diesel a week ago at BP in Franklinville for $2.84 a gal.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Did this trip last September from NE Ohio. I77 to I74 and picked up us 64 all the way. Nice ride once you get past all the tri-cities area.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went from Winston to Durham and back twice this week on I-40, 85 ( they run together for awhile) Traffic isn't that bad. I make that trip very often and compared to I-95 up North and I-64 east of Richmond then down through Norfolk its a cake walk. Just look at a road map.

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
I would pay very close attention to when you come through NC. I would do it early. On or around holidays there can be traffic from winston Salem all the way to raleigh. I have traveled this to and from TN many times. I would be more inclined to run to Richmond then down 95 to 64 and then East. There are less big cities to hit and be stuck in. Yes. Itโ€™s a little longer but I think the traffic risk is less.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The above route is about awful. Count on traffic east of Richmond on either I-64 or US 460. The route I and others suggested misses all of that other than a little around Raleigh if you hit during rush hour. I travel down the I-77 to I-40 often but did the I-64 out of Charleston once, once, that was enough of that. Hope this helps.

campingcasual
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, I appreciate the local knowledge.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
campingcasual wrote:
Wanderingaimlessly, that's a lot of detail, thanks! How is the traffic from Richmond down to Suffolk? We've been that way a couple of times and I feel like it was bad from anywhere south of DC.

If you decide to come through Virginia as opposed to heading south through NC, avoid I-64 east of Richmond.
Here is your Virginia route.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
That guy is confused--I-64 to Charleston, I-77 into NC, hit I-74 to Winston-Salem, hit I-40 East till you get around Raleigh and hit US-64 to the beach. Don't confuse I-64 with US-64....Forget google etc and look at a road map

campingcasual
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderingaimlessly, that's a lot of detail, thanks! How is the traffic from Richmond down to Suffolk? We've been that way a couple of times and I feel like it was bad from anywhere south of DC.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
If take 64 to Charleston than 77 down to 40 than state rd 64 into the outer banks, part of 77 is toll , very good road , not a ton of traffic

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
You can still take I 64, just dont go through Norfolk, Instead
I 64 east to exit 264 south for I 664, then follow that through Suffolk and Chesapeake to exit 291 for Rt 168 south for the Outer banks.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Head for Winston Salem NC and then I40 to I540 to I87/US64 and then in to Nags Head. The last 3 hours will be rural and peaceful.
There are a couple of Food Lions on that route if you want to buy groceries along the way without the crowds. Arriving the 5th or 6th you shouldn't hit any problems as most will be where they are going already.
Have fun!
Puma 30RKSS