cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake George from the west

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going to be coming along I90 from Rochester area heading to Lake George. Wondering which would be the best drive with a truck and short trailer, NY-8, NY-67, or staying on I-90 to I-87? Google says there's no more than a 20 minutes difference between the routes with NY-67 being the fastest but NY-8 looks like it might be a fun drive if it's a decent road and it avoids most of the more crowded areas which is where I find the most stressful driving to be.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH
6 REPLIES 6

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
ACZL, if I'm going the 8/12 route why not just stay on 90 until the 8/12 exit, why bother with 365? Looking at 365 I was thinking I'd take it all the way to the merger with 8 and avoid Utica.

I mentioned it because others spoke of 365. Yes you can stay on the T-way until exit 31 (Utica) and p/u 8/12 north. IMO, not really any good places for diesel fuel at this exit if you use it. After you come thru cashbox, you'll veer right, go under 90 and a sharp right for ramp. FOLLOW signs. Same directions as my previous post about 8/12 from here applies.

You could still get off at x33 and p/u 365 and just stay on it until 8, but here's my thought on it. Once you get off the 4 lane 365, it's not too awful bad at 1st of a road. But it then starts to have quite a few turns, small/med pulls, then levels out some. Then you have a very good downhill into village of Barneveld with a stop at bottom in town. Turn left and stay on 365. My bad some here as I haven't been on 365 east from Barneveld in years and frankly forgot it ran into 8. I just know that 8 north goes thru Poland and the route in my 1st post is how we go to Poland w/ our rig. Just a lot less of brakes, sharp turns and back tracking (at least for us if we stayed on 365 to 12 south to 8 north).
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL, if I'm going the 8/12 route why not just stay on 90 until the 8/12 exit, why bother with 365? Looking at 365 I was thinking I'd take it all the way to the merger with 8 and avoid Utica.
Equalizer 10k WDH

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Take 365 east to 49 east to 12 north to 8 north. You p/u 365 @ exit 33 off the T-way. It's a 4 lane for about 10 miles +/- @ 55 mph. Stay on 365 and don't get off it (just past Rome exits), rather look for/stay on the 4 lane as it turns into/merges w/ 49 east towards Utica. Becomes 70 mph for approx 10 more miles. Stay on 49 east until you see signs for 8/12 north.365/49 run parallel to 90, flat and only3 lights on it for the entire time, no towns or sharp turns. Once on 8/12, go approx 5 miles (good pull-but 4 lane w/ add'l slow truck lane) and 8 north branches off to the right at top of hill. FWIW- there is a Wal_Mart/Lowes/Applebees/Bass Pro/BJ's & BJ's gas on right as soon as you get on 8/12 north. After you get off 8/12 onto 8, you'll start down hill for approx 8 miles into the village of Poland. Good size down hill last couple miles.Turn left in village to stay on 8 north. AWESOME campgrounds at exit 33 (Villages @ Turning Stone) and just before you cross the bridge into Poland (West Canada Creek Campsites).

Also, if you need gas/diesel once you get off the T-way, there is 2 Sav-on stations on 365 east. One sells diesel only, the other is full blown gas/connivence store about 1 miles from the T-way and at same light opposite each other. Be on look out for Amish buggies on 8/12, 8.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks from a fellow Tiger, going to take the 365/8 route knowing it's safe as the scenery looks like it will make up for any minor slowdowns and the reduced stress of the country driving will make for a better trip.
Equalizer 10k WDH

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
NY 365 to NY 8 is the route I usually take. There are some decent curvy grades on the easternmost section (between I-87 and Hague mostly), but you presumably would not be taking that bit of road anyhow. The whole thing is entirely doable with an RV, or at least I have no compunctions about taking my class C over it.

I think the time would be about the same as taking the Interstates; at any rate it shouldn't be an enormous difference. I went to RIT (in Rochester) for college while home was in Vermont, so I've traveled over that road and some of the alternatives more than once or twice.

A better alternative than NY-67 is taking NY-30A at Fultonville/Fonda to NY29 to Saratoga Springs and then getting I-87. You cut off more of an hypotenuse around Albany/Schenectady/Troy that way. Downtown Saratoga Springs can be a tad congested at times, but not too bad and not for very long of a distance.

AJB
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful ride along NY8 and very easy to do with your set up. Very nice scenery. Only reason to take 67 would be to avoid the Albany area and pay a little less in tolls. Being only a 20 minute difference between 8 or 90 I find hard to believe. NY 8 will take longer but if you are not in a hurry it is worth doing.