cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KLONDIKE LOOP / TOP OF THE WORLD HIGHWAY

Retirerv
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling in Canada/Alaska this summer (2015) in our 34' Itasca Sunova with our towed CRV.

Most of the itineraries using this route appear to use it as the way into Alaska, and the return trip on the Alaska Highway (ALCAN).

Are there pros and cons for either direction as we are looking at taking it for the outbound portion of the trip?

Is this doable with a 34' rig with tow?
16 REPLIES 16

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Will do it again I hope, done the trip 2010-2011 and wouldn't miss it for the world. Sure miss the Yukon.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

His_Hers_Alaska
Explorer
Explorer
If you are coming up to Alaska for the "Experience", we feel Top of the World Highway is not to be missed. You can do it on the way up or way home. Crossing the Yukon on a ferry was so unique and the town of Dawson was a lot of fun.

I think we are going to return to Chicken this year. It was the only place I ever found measurable amounts of gold when prospecting.
Ben & Rebecca Pazdernik
Seward, Alaska

Retirerv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the recommendations. It looks like we really should not have any problems as long as adjust for road conditions.

I will pack a few extra 6 packs of beer just for boarder crossings. 😉

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dawson City is a must do! It's a neat little town full of history and fun. Any size RV can travel the roads...and do. You're just going to be driving slow.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Alaska and travel to Dawson every couple of years this is our 8th time. We always check the weather and wait for a high pressures system to be moving into the area. After 8 times you would think there would be nothing left to do but we always find a side trip, float river, visit old mining towns, camp to fish and hike. We will only stay in Dawson 2 days this year we are heading to Tomestone Territorial Park to hike couple of days. Then down to Whitehorse with a side trip to Mayo.
then back to Anchorage. Look for the Nest Egg tear drop that's what we use up here. The RV is based in Vegas for our trips down South.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
As Sue Thomas normally points out, if 50-passenger tour buses can travel the TOTW highway all summer, a careful RV driver should have no problems.

We did the TOTW from west to east in August a couple of years ago, The roads were dry and there was very little RV traffic going in our direction. And, if you have any fear of heights while towing, W to E keeps you on the mountain side of the steepest road sections except on the hairpins immediately east of Chicken. Also, we got on the first ferry across the Yukon into Dawson City without any delays.

Weather and road conditions are the biggest complaints some RVers have about their Alaska experience because they don't build sufficient time into their schedules to wait out a storm, a flash flood across a highway, a rockslide, or the interminable highway construction that occur every summer, to say nothing of slowing down for the frost-heaved pavement. So, being flexible enough to follow Sue's advice on checking the weather when you reach Whitehorse, then making the decision on which route to take on your way north, is the best approach.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
almcc wrote:
We had a bit of a laugh at the border crossing into Alaska, the agent asked if we had any beer on board, we said yes, he said the he would need to confiscate it! I suspect that the posting is probably given to the most junior officers and when the border closes for the night the Canadian and US officers get together and party. They must have been running low on beer!

Surly they were jesting? Let's compare: 1 or 2 cases of beer or a full time government job with benefits and a pension. Your choice.

Lakeside

Yes, I guess you didn't note that we got a laugh! Actually I found it pleasant dealing with this young person to some of the other "not so pleasant" border types we've met on our travels.
I would have gave him a few brews for (after) working hours.:W

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
almcc wrote:
We had a bit of a laugh at the border crossing into Alaska, the agent asked if we had any beer on board, we said yes, he said the he would need to confiscate it! I suspect that the posting is probably given to the most junior officers and when the border closes for the night the Canadian and US officers get together and party. They must have been running low on beer!

Surly they were jesting? Let's compare: 1 or 2 cases of beer or a full time government job with benefits and a pension. Your choice.

Lakeside

Yes, I guess you didn't note that we got a laugh! Actually I found it pleasant dealing with this young person to some of the other "not so pleasant" border types we've met on our travels.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:

Lakeside

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We did the top of the world highway from Dawson with a 30 ft. 5th wheel and truck and didn't have any problems. Be slow and careful at the entrance/exit off the ferry and you will be fine.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Any tips on planning a trip thats not in an rv ? Hotels and availability.

Lots of options in Dawson City, one in Chicken ( http://chickengold.com ) and the best motel in Tok is Young's ( http://www.youngsmotel.com/ ). Whitehorse to Dawson is a one-day trip, Tok back to Whitehorse is best as 2, with overnights at Destruction Bay ( http://www.talbotarm.com/ ) or Haines Junction (several options).

Reservations are always recommended, especially at Chicken.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Any tips on planning a trip thats not in an rv ? Hotels and availability.

browalt
Explorer
Explorer
You will have no problem with your 34' and tow. We made our trip through Alaska in 2011 with a 37' and tow. We made the trip backwards...starting out on the Alaska Marine Highway from Prince Rupert, BC, Canada, to Haines, AK. After traveling around Alaska we left by way of Chicken, Alaska, then the Top of the World Highway and crossing the YUKON River to Dawson City, YT, Canada. You can check out my blog on the trip at http://bev-ontheroadagain.blogspot.com/2011/08/chicken-ak-to-dawson-city-yt-july-25.html. Go ahead and look around the page and check out our adventure. Hope you have a blast. I know you will. Looking forward to going again.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
I'd check the weather forecast for the Dawson area before leaving Whitehorse. If it was looking good, then I'd head to Dawson first and cross the Top of the World/Taylor Highway into Alaska. If it was rain & wet, then I'd take the Alaska Highway northward instead.

You don't say when you plan to head south. Late August/early September can be beautiful on the Top of the World Highway. The fall colours are making their appearance then.

This was September 5, 2012
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!