cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jackson to Moab

wvbike_99
Explorer
Explorer
Will be in Yellowstone in August and thinking about going south to Moab on our way back home to WV. Looking for a good route that is rv friendly and scenic as well. We will be towing a 24 ft Rockwood Mini lite with a F150. Any ideas on stopovers , campgrounds or things to do are welcome, things to avoid, thanks in advance.
2012 Primetime Tracer 2640 RLS
2010 Ford F Super Cab
5.4 Engine, 3.56 Gear
Factory Tow Package
Equilizer Hitch
Wife and Myself
No Cats or Dogs
5 REPLIES 5

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
padredw, that is the exact route that we take. I will be going back next summer for the month in September, 2024.

To the original poster, do you realize how hot it gets in Moab in August. Expect upper 90's for daytime highs. We have been there in August several times and with proper hydration, you can have a great time.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually take 89 south to I15. This passes by Bear Lake.

Take I15 to highway 6, highway 6 turns into 191 at Helper.

191 between Flaming Gorge and Vernal is a pretty steep drop, with a lot of switchbacks. Keep your speed in check down the hill if you go that way.
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
That's good. Just gives you two good choices for routes. Wish I could be up that way again.

wvbike_99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks , just the kind of info i was hoping for, doesn’t sound like that mountain pass would be all that bad for my rig, as for being used to Mountain driving i’m from West Virginia and while not as high, our mountains are just as curvy , will look over that route.
2012 Primetime Tracer 2640 RLS
2010 Ford F Super Cab
5.4 Engine, 3.56 Gear
Factory Tow Package
Equilizer Hitch
Wife and Myself
No Cats or Dogs

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I will share a route which I have taken out of Jackson. This is not the shortest or quickest route but I have towed our 34' fifth-wheel over most of it.

It is basically to follow US 191 all the way from Jackson to Moab. This will drive through the delightful town of Pinedale, WY. Which is surely worth a stop. As I recall we stopped there for lunch in a local restaurant. We had no trouble finding a place to park our rig.

You will pass thorough the Flaming George National Recreation Area. Worth an overnight and maybe an extra day if you can possibly include that. We found it an unexpectedly scenic area. We had driven though it before, but staying there a day really allowed us to enjoy it.

You will pass through Vernal, UT and a slight side trip (20 miles) would take you out to Dinosaur National Monument. My wife especially enjoyed that visit, but it would again take a bit of time.

I will mention that we continued from the National Monument on US 40 and CO 64 to Rangely, CO then CO 139 over Douglas Pass down to I 70 West over to pick up US 191 near Moab. But I considered Douglas Pass to be a serious mountain drive with a fifth-wheel. We did not have a minute's trouble and I would do it again, but I cannot recommend it unless you have considerable mountain towing experience. (It might be much improved, our trip was several years ago.)

So that brings me back to the simple "191 all the way."