cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate and other roadside Rest Areas - Open or Closed?

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure whether this belongs here, or whether it's an obvious question/answer.

Are the Eisenhower Interstate Rest Areas mostly open with bathroom access and vending and other amenities?
If you travel the freeways regularly, what has been your recent experience? ,
I'll assume the parking is open for truckers and other general commercial travelers for safety reasons (break time, sleep, etc.).

Are most scales and inspection stations open or closed?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)
19 REPLIES 19

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We came up I-81 today from VA, and from the MD line to just north of Harrisburg, PA and about every third rest area was open, at least for parking. The others had barriers across the entrance ramps. We'll travel the rest of the way up I-81 to NY tomorrow, and it'll be interesting to see if it's the same the rest of the way...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Your travel is necessary?

Your need for vending machine access is required?

No, and no. Mine isn't necessary, but I was curious how it's affecting Canadians (and others) that are still returning to Canada from Snowbirding, and also how the commercial and heavy truck people are being affected. If there are any major bottlenecks that anyone may have observed in the US on the north bound routes, that sort of thing.
You never know, there might actually be some truckers or some snowbirds that might benefit from info posted to this thread by those out there in the real world.
(p.s. The MIDRIVE website says the Welcome Centers are closed UFN, but their map doesn't show that, so not every website is necessarily dependable or current)
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
Saw on the TV this morning that truckers are experiencing difficulty getting food, also bathrooms and shower facilities. Many truck stops are closed. I think this is mostly in the North East and into Canada.

Friends who just drove north from Florida to NYS reported that rest areas were so busy there was no room for RV's so they started going to Cracker Barrel parking lots. Restaurant was closed so lots of parking for RV's. I think the increase in traffic was due to Spring Break traffic.

Thanks for that. So, depending on what route you take, things are getting crazy out there.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to get the picture on how your side of the border is handling things.

Got it! Just did a search and it looks like New England and NY have theirs open on 95.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dedmiston
Lwiddis wrote:

I hate to call people out, but you've made this same (or similar) comment in multiple threads. Not that it's any of my business, but Kern County isn't home for you, is it?

Even if I'm wrong, maybe it's better not to be so judgmental.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Saw on the TV this morning that truckers are experiencing difficulty getting food, also bathrooms and shower facilities. Many truck stops are closed. I think this is mostly in the North East and into Canada.

Friends who just drove north from Florida to NYS reported that rest areas were so busy there was no room for RV's so they started going to Cracker Barrel parking lots. Restaurant was closed so lots of parking for RV's. I think the increase in traffic was due to Spring Break traffic.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
I was wondering if the OP had checked that myself. As far as I know the border is only open to essential travel and US citizens returning home. Likewise fit Canadian citizens going north.

Dave

Yes, you are correct. See prior repsonses to "Crowe".

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Not looking to cause trouble but will you be allowed into the US right now? My understanding unless it's urgent business the border is closed.

No, we aren't planing US travel, and yes, the border is still closed to non-essential travel. I mentioned that in my response to your intial post.
I'm was curious about what the status was of you abundant freeway rest areas. We have very few just bathroom/vending/rest areas in Canada. They're not nearly as common as they are in the US, and tend to be more like "on the freeway fuel/convenience/food" stops like the travel plazas on I-90 in NY, and some of the ones on I-95 north of Boston.
Just wanted to get the picture on how your side of the border is handling things.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if the OP had checked that myself. As far as I know the border is only open to essential travel and US citizens returning home. Likewise fit Canadian citizens going north.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Not looking to cause trouble but will you be allowed into the US right now? My understanding unless it's urgent business the border is closed.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Vermont: parking areas open, buildings closed, porta-potties deployed.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Texas rest areas restrooms remain open (as of 4 days ago) with an "enhanced cleaning schedule". No tourist assistance staff are on duty.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
Different areas, different answers

10-4 on that.