cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Import car through nogales

jtomich4
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know the price and time required to import a 2010 Honda CR-V with a California plate? After many emails to many brokers, only one has responded and he says $3264 and two to four weeks. And that doesn't include the Jalisco plate and fees. Seems like a lot for a $6500 car. Anybody out there with recent knowledge? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

jtomich4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for all of the suggestions. Weโ€™re gonna back off for a few days and rethink the entire process. If we do Import our car to Mexico weโ€™ll probably use Oscar Fco Angulo. Comes highly recommended by friends and I like his vibe. Also, best price so far by $500. Or we might store our Honda in Phoenix with relatives and buy something new or used in Mexico. Not sure how to deal with the towing hardware installation in Mexico. Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Much easier to buy a car in Mexico. Saves time and trouble. The importation fees on my TT (new) were 22% in 2010.

Mexico has a blue book. You can check prices on line in various newspapers, have the car checked for theft or previous insurance claims and also ask for a private inspection.

I have helped several people in Guanajuato. In the process is a state mandated inspection that checks the car in detail for VIN numbers on various parts of the car to ensure it was never stolen or totaled. It's a fairly east process.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

jtomich4
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, 2010 Honda CRVโ€™s were made in Mexico, a NAFTA country. One sends the paperwork and payment ahead and then passes the car through the official export/import gauntlet a couple of weeks later. I think I understand all of that, just looking for a better price. Yes, I have a permanent resident visa, but I know others who have imported their cars without one. And yes, it is potentially cheaper to buy a used car in Mexico and not have to struggle against the current importing one, but I couldnโ€™t find one I liked last year and this Honda was already ours and paid for. Thanks Mex-wand, for the advise. Sounds useful, but perhaps too complicated under the circumstances. Tal vez la proxima vez.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Parallel.

Purchase a USA vehicle and import it into the "Free" zone of Baja California or Baja California Sur...

Either have a genuine sales receipt

Or Aduana, will GUESS the value of the vehicle (it won't be undervalued)

Pay ONE HUNDRED PERCENT ADUANA TAX of the value of the receipt or estimate.

Then Aduana gives 30 days to apply for ANAPROMEX. Which allows you to purchase FRONTERA license plates. Must be bonded for use in mainland Mexico.

Anapromex costs about 700 pesos. Then there is a state license fee.

Michoacan has not allowed the importation of ANY vehicles since 2004. Want to drive? Get Jalisco or Guerrero plates.

I went through the roundaround TWICE at Otay Mesa helping friends.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The services at an ADUANAL, a licensed agent dealing with totally legal auto importation can be obtained at any major POE. Being referred by Aduana directly, eliminates any chance of getting a bogus importation certificate.

What an importation broker does, is deal with several agencies of the government. All paperwork is in Spanish legalize and every last centavo must be paid for in Pesos.

Aduana in Otay demanded the person who drives the car away, into Mexico have a valid Mexican driver license. They checked the license.

Talleyho69
Moisheh has some good information.

We are about to move permanently to Mexico, and really wanted to take our classic VW. We can't. Not only is it not NAFTA, it is more than 9 years old. We were also told that if we had a vehicle that was NAFTA and less than 9 years old, we would still have to pay a fee of 30% of the value of the vehicle. I'm not absolutely certain on the above facts, but we are buying a vehicle in Mexico this winter.

Anyone want to buy a classic VW???

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You are asking in the wrong forum. You should be in an expat forum. However my limited knowledge tells me that your car cannot be imported. It was not made in a NAFTA country. Are you aware that you must be present at the border with the car? Do you have a Residente permanente? Try going to "Yucalandia and reading his info. Your VIN has to start with a number not a letter. Our Rav 4 starts with a "J"and thus could not be imported. You could just buy a car in Mexico!

Moisheh

jtomich4
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations for a licensed broker in Nogales? All I've heard about are shady blackmarket providers, with the risk of losing one's vehicle. Just looking for a legal import.