cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-80 in Nebraska

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
2 years ago while travelling west on I-80, we experienced a bumpy, washboard type ride west of Kearney, perhaps near Gothenburg. We will be heading west again this spring and wonder if the road surface has improved any since then. We don't know the exact location of the rough pavement - just that it was near Gothenburg primarily in the west bound lanes. Could anyone give updated information regarding the road surface in that area, or from Kearney to North Platte? Thanks for all replies.

Rita and Walt
Buttons the sheltie
Andy and Champ, at the bridge
Nicky, the Tennessee Walker
7 REPLIES 7

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We travel I-80 a lot and they have been doing a lot of work to smooth it out and it is much better. West of North Platte has quite a bit of new road to the I-76 cutoff to Denver. I-76 is bad in spots between Julesburg to Brush and then some spots into Denver are not good either. North Platte east is fairly good road but as mentioned there is heavy truck traffic all the way across the state.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Truck after truck on I-80.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We did I-80 this past summer on our road trip. I don't recall any issues with the road.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled through on I -80 from Lincoln to Ogallala a month ago. As nice and smooth as you could want.

ForceXXI
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Grand Island, Ne and have pulled my 5th wheel both directions on I-80. By washboards, are you actually referring to the expansion joints in the concrete? If so, they are there and will always be there. I dont find them too terrible but I may be used to them. I dont remember ever coming across actual washboards. I have found that the inside lane is a tad smoother for some reason but you still have the clickity clack of the expansion joints. Hwy 30 is a nice drive but I actually prefer the interstate when pulling my camper.

Safe travels...

Jon

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on route 30 (which runs parallel to I80) across Nebraska. We have used that road between Grand Island and Ogalalla several times heading to or coming back from Yellowstone & Grand Teton. A little slower than I80, but a nice road with little traffic. All in all a much more relaxed drive.

X2 on route 36 across both Missouri and Kansas as an alternate to I70.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
RBak wrote:
2 years ago while travelling west on I-80, we experienced a bumpy, washboard type ride west of Kearney, perhaps near Gothenburg. We will be heading west again this spring and wonder if the road surface has improved any since then. We don't know the exact location of the rough pavement - just that it was near Gothenburg primarily in the west bound lanes. Could anyone give updated information regarding the road surface in that area, or from Kearney to North Platte? Thanks for all replies.

Rita and Walt
Buttons the sheltie
Andy and Champ, at the bridge
Nicky, the Tennessee Walker

Once was enough for me - we actually pulled off and took the state road that ran parallel - just hated the wash-board - look at the possibility of sliding down to Rt 36 in Kansas and Missouri, just a better road (IMHO) and no trucks.

Just a thought,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach