cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I 75 Bridge over Ohio river CLOSED

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Due to a multiple truck crash this morning before dawn, the bridge is totally closed BOTH directions. (North bound is the lower level South bound is the upper level)

Crash spilled 400 gallons of fuel and one of the truck was carrying hazardess material which was flamable.

Heavy damage due to the fire, estimated at in excess of 1500 degrees.

Authorities still have not be able to inspect all of the bridge.

Interstate traffic is being routed via I 275 around the city. Traffic on I 275 is slow going now as a result.

NO estimate of how long, likely months. The bridge needs replacement and has been on a list for that for several years now. The 2 states can not agree how to accomplish that, nor do they want to pay for it.
Jim Hunter
14 REPLIES 14

wls
Explorer
Explorer
kyhawk wrote:
The bridge did open on schedule, but until about the end of Sept they're painting it, which means 2 lanes are closed all the time. Since there are normally four lanes, traffic does back up during rush hours.

Thanks for the update

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
The bridge did open on schedule, but until about the end of Sept they're painting it, which means 2 lanes are closed all the time. Since there are normally four lanes, traffic does back up during rush hours.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

wls
Explorer
Explorer
Any update on this? Thanks

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
According to the latest news, the bridge will be back in service Dec 23. The suspension bridge is now back open, just not to trucks. The weight limit on that bridge is only 11 tons or so.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking on the map I see a pedestrian bridge. Is that a former railway bridge?

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
follow up to expected repairs. They anounced today at least a month for repairs.

This is the main bridge over the Ohio river around Cincinnati.

There is I-275 around the City but it will likely be backed up due to the closure. This will easily add tie to your trip.

Also they closed another bridge due to trucks not obeying load limits. It is a suspension bridge build by the builders as an experiment for the bridge in New York. It is only 1 lane each way and has a very limited weight limit and a much older bridge.
Jim Hunter

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If you are FMCA, their campground is over on Round Bottom Road.

It works great for Overnights.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We went around the bridge several times this summer when they were working on the lanes over the bridge and there is no easy way east or west. Plan on and extra hour+. They said this morning it will be days to fix the damage.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I75 crosses the Ohio river at Cincinnati (into Kentucky).

Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to be sitting in Cincinnati traffic consider
stopping at Jungle Jim's International Market for supplies.
It's worth the detour. :C

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Snowbirds take notice. Michigan, east parts of Indiana, if your normal route takes you across this bridge, check in advance of your travel for status. The I275 bridges are normally busy, but will VERY busy.
For those not familiar with the area, this bridge is a major bottle neck in downtown Cincinnati. Two interstates I71&I75 join together to cross the Ohio River. Lots of Long distance car and commercial traffic, plus all the local commuter traffic.
I read some of news articles and they were going to use drones for initial inspections and the Coast Guard have closed the area under the bridge to river/boat traffic.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Saw news reports. What a mess!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I75 crosses the Ohio river at Cincinnati (into Kentucky).

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I'm planning on going there, but I am assuming this is in Ohio? Not everyone knows where the location is. Specifics would help a lot of people.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]