Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-5 SB north of Olympia closed

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Due to train wreck onto HWY.

All SB lanes of I-5 blocked near Mounts Road in Pierce County due to derailed train car. Avoid area! (From WSDOT twitter feed)
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic
21 REPLIES 21

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Per Q13 News, All Southbound Lanes NOW OPEN.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
News Release from the WSP:

Our Thanks to You
by WSP Government and Media Relations
I think everyone can agree it has been a long couple of days. Just a little more than 50 hours after an Amtrak passenger train derailed in DuPont, Interstate 5 has reopened for public use.

As of this afternoon, December 20, 2017, the two left lanes are open, with a set reduced speed of 45 mph. All three lanes are expected to be open by tomorrow morning.

We want to send our deepest sympathy to all those affected by this tragic incident. It is heartbreaking when a major, and especially fatal, incident like this occurs. Please know that our hearts ache with you and we are keeping you in our thoughts.

We would also like to extend our gratitude to all the first responders, partner agencies, and citizens who immediately jumped into action.

Lastly, we are grateful for the outpouring of support that has been received from the community. Your patience and understanding played a critical role in getting the freeway back open.

The Washington State Patrol has been on scene since day one, working 24/7 shifts to assist the Washington State Department of Transportation and the National Transportation Safety Board with traffic control and investigation support.

We will continue in our efforts to provide you with any and all updates that transpire over the next few days, weeks, and months regarding this incident.

WSP Government and Media Relations | December 20, 2017 at 5:17 pm | Categories: Feature Stories | URL: https://wp.me/p4ofGt-1b7
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

DRKMinWA
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE - 2 of the 3 SB lanes reopened at 5:00 PM Today, 12/20.
Rick & Kathy
2014 Econ 16RB
2013 Nissan Titan Crew Cab

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
He really sad part of this change is that it only saved 10 minutes of travel time, and bypassed the most scenic part of the trip along the Puget Sound.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
9:30 AM Wednesday - The lead locomotive just left the freeway on a special lowboy trailer. The trailer is so large that it requires two semi tractors, one at each end. The locomotive weighs 270,000 pounds. 19 axle trailer.

Currently they are trying to negotiate the corner at the top of the on ramp at Dupont-Steilacoom Rd.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Local papers are saying that the new line was put into use sooner than originally planed in order to expedite use of federal grants.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish these reporters would check things out before writing and article about it. Apparently that safety system was not installed on this brand new section of track: LA Times
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to the WSDOT statement, this was a lightly used section of track that had been upgraded for use by Amtrack. Multiple agencies were responsible for the work. This was the first, or one of the first, scheduled runs to use this route.

As best I can tell from Google Maps, this new route rejoins the old one just a short distance beyond the freeway crossing. The original route was a scenic, but slow one, along Puget Sound. This short cut parallels I5 much of the way

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/news/2017/12/18/statement-amtrak-cascades-derailment

This was part of an upgrade to the Vancouver to Eugene route, intended to shave time off the Seattle to Portland run. It's a joint Washington and Oregon project (along with federal funding and Amtrak operations).

https://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2017/12/changes-ahead-as-new-amtrak-cascades.html

WSDOT's blog with updates:

https://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2017/12/amtrak-cascades-derailment-dupont.html

According to this

Positive Train Control
From Sound Transit and Amtrak:
While equipment has been physically installed in the Lakewood subdivision where the incident occurred the system is not yet operational or certified for use. Full implementation is planned to occur by the second quarter of 2018 on that segment, in advance of the deadline.
Sound Transit, Amtrak and other agencies are working to implement positive train control in the Puget Sound region in advance of a December 2018 federal deadline. Work will continue in the coming months.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
RideSlow wrote:
jolooote wrote:
Computers can't slow a train but they are going to control 'Driverless' cars and TRUCKS!!!

Computerized Train Control installed on tracks in the area, not on the locomotives. NTSB has recommended installation for years, AMTRAK has been dragging out installation.

News talks about all the new tracks in the area, but that overpass has been in place as long as I can remember. May have a new road bed and rails, but that has always been a slow area.

It has to be on both the train and the track. It has been installed on this section of track as well as the train BUT IT WAS LEFT TURNED OFF. As usual the weakest component failed in this loop, the human component.
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
jolooote wrote:
Computers can't slow a train but they are going to control 'Driverless' cars and TRUCKS!!!

If the system is left turned off it's hardly a surprise that it failed to work.
Superbumper

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:

Computerized Train Control installed on tracks in the area, not on the locomotives. NTSB has recommended installation for years, AMTRAK has been dragging out installation.

News talks about all the new tracks in the area, but that overpass has been in place as long as I can remember. May have a new road bed and rails, but that has always been a slow area.
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
3:30 P.M. Local time on Tuesday - Still closed. Two cranes are working on moving train cars out. Some of the train cars have already left the scene on flat beds. Lead locomotive is still sitting on the freeway.

My guess is that the freeway will still be closed Wednesday...

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
I would venture to guess that this will not open soon. Was taking a look at some pics off the KOMO news site (ABC affiliate) and some decent sized chunks of concrete are broken and down on the road. If WSDOT has a clue, they will get a lane shift in place, move the southbound across the median and run them south in the northbound lanes. Not much room for lane width, but some is better than none. Lots of rain in forecast, but it could be done. Terribly sad, prayers for all.
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic