cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hyway 40 between Hinton and Grand Prairie

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone taken an RV along this stretch? Looks like it would save 150 miles or so from taking the 16/97 loop through Prince George.
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder
17 REPLIES 17

Dfresh
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the area. Up and Down 40 regularly. It's a nice drive. If a bit hilly. Lots of places to camp, for all preferences. For some reason I never see wildlife on this hwy, when I've driven it.
Only real negative is I find the stretch from Grand Cache to Grande Prairie pretty boring.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We came north on 40 a week ago, Saturday of May long weekend. There were hundreds of boondockers along the way. Some spots looked like RV parks. Yet there was lots of room at the beautiful little Cache campsite in the provincial park.

We saw two caribou just south of Muskeg junction, maybe 50 km south of Grande Cache.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed at Allison Point (dry camp) park just down from the hatchery in Aug, 2013. Saw one black bear in that area. One brown bear and cub were viewed a number of times from the bridge over the creek.

Beautiful view from that CG vs other Valdez CGs. Must have been because one camper was so excited that he got our mirror with his Airstream. $4,200 later (cracked the fiberglass) and now as good as new. I'm sure that is only a down payment on the amount to fix the 8' gash in the Airstream.

He didn't even realize that he hit us. But nice fellow camper from FL as he apologized several times. Then brought over some halibut that he caught.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
rag-ftw wrote:
Did you see the momma and her four cubs? . . . We saw her in August of 2012, about a month after the photographer was killed in Denali.
Yep, but we saw her one evening walking along the cliff face paralleling the road on her way to the hatchery. We had 75 yards of swamp water and bushes between us and the bears so my wife was using a 500mm telephoto. But we were close enough that she never got mama and all 4 cubs in the same photo with that long lens. And some of the photos she got showed every hair on mama's face.

Some people were still taking photos as she was approaching the edge of the road where they were standing. But we were back in the truck by that time because it was getting too dark for using a long, slow telephoto and the mosquitoes were eating us alive.

The cubs were a year older and much larger than in the photos a friend took of them at the hatchery in July 2012. Four cubs for one mama is really unusual and we heard that perhaps she adopted two from a dead mother.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
Our best grizzly photos were along the road to the fish hatchery in Valdez. Better action shots and much closer than in even Denali!

Did you see the momma and her four cubs? I could not believe how close the people were getting to her. When you have to open an aisle through the people for a grizzly and her four cubs to pass from the hatchery to the woods something is just waiting to go terribly wrong. We saw her in August of 2012, about a month after the photographer was killed in Denali.
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember any wildlife on Hwy. 40 last August, but we probably saw the same herd of bighorns just inside the Hwy. 16 gate between Hinton and Jasper. They were all over the road and had traffic nearly stopped. We got some fairly good photos of a ewe and lamb along the roadside.

Our best grizzly photos were along the road to the fish hatchery in Valdez. Better action shots and much closer than in even Denali!

Supreme_Oppress
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years I saw 1 black bear, countless deer, many elk, lots of rig pigs, several coyotes, some owls and an eagle. Still haven't seen a grizzly though.
2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
On our trip north along 40 we saw some of the BEST wildlife of our entire trip to AK! Very nice drive. ST

We were not so lucky on our trip up Highway 40 on 12 May 2014. We left Hinton at sun up ready for some animal action! We saw a number of deer and a fleeting glimpse of a grizzly and her two cubs on our trip up to Grand Prairie.

Coming into Hinton Sunday evening from Jasper we saw two elk, and had to stop while a herd of probably 25 big horn sheep crossed the road in front of us.

Ya win some and ya lose some!
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to take Hyway 40, that is if we can ever get to Hinton!
Presently parked in a blasting snow storm just west of Calgary! Looks like it is going to be sunny for a couple days on the Ice Fields Parkway so we will head out in the morning.
Thanks for all the GREAT info in your replies.
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
On our trip north along 40 we saw some of the BEST wildlife of our entire trip to AK! Very nice drive. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our trailer from Grand Prairie to Hinton on 40 last August. And we spent a night at the city campground in Grande Cache. We had no problems other than some minor delays for construction just a few miles northwest of Grande Cache (near the coal mine and power plant). Some great scenery around Grande Cache, especially if you are a geologist!

jessjerr1831
Explorer
Explorer
I asked the same question early in 2010 before our trip. Someone suggested to google earth view it. So I did. Shows the road very well. Nice road, had no problems and no worries.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
morley wrote:
... Grande Prairie very nice city.

Now there's a comment you don't see very often! It's pretty much just one big mall - even a nephew who lives there hates it (he's there for the $$$).
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I drive it about once a year. It's a lovely route, but Highway 40 really needs many more passing lanes, and many more scenic pullouts. There's a lot of commercial traffic, and there are some excellent parks along it. My summer trips have always been quick passes through, but I had a good look at the southern half of it 2 months ago, which you can see on my blog.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live