cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy 7 Arkansas ?

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Mentioned to a friend near Branson we would be taking Scenic Hwy 7 from Branson to Hot Springs and asked about nice campgrounds along the way. He said NO WAY would he drive that road with a camper. We recently downsized to a 21 foot tow behind, 6000 pounds loaded towed by F-350 6.2 gas. Other than very curvy roads is there something I should be worried about? We are not in any hurry. Also any campground suggestions? THANK YOU
pawatt
16 REPLIES 16

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Bob806 wrote:
We pulled a 26' trailer from Lake Catherine to Petit Jean, and all the way up to Harrison on Rt. 7 with no problems, but it does get a bit narrow in spots.

If you have 10 days, branch out a bit and camp at Petit Jean, or consider Mount Magazine. Both are very nice SPs. Ponca has the big elk herd, and this time of year they're pretty vocal.

When we were at Petit Jean SP the scenery was fantastic. EVERY fire pit in the area we were at was full of trash. And the connections were on the passenger side of the RV. With the campsites as dirty/trashy we did not want to even look at showers or bathrooms.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Dardanelle SP in Russellville is nice. It has FHU if needed. We stayed there a couple of days while exploring Petit Jean, Mt. Nebo and Mt. Magazine. Lake Ouachita SP is nice too. It is near Hot Springs.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We pulled a 26' trailer from Lake Catherine to Petit Jean, and all the way up to Harrison on Rt. 7 with no problems, but it does get a bit narrow in spots.

If you have 10 days, branch out a bit and camp at Petit Jean, or consider Mount Magazine. Both are very nice SPs. Ponca has the big elk herd, and this time of year they're pretty vocal.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Bipeflier wrote:
Take Hwy. 65 unless you enjoy backing up traffic for miles. Save the scenic highways for driving without the camper.

Think of the other guy once in a while.

I saw no traffic backed up behind me, but then I have road worthy equipment.

Yeah, but many don't or are "white knuckle" drivers. I've followed many RV's on those roads while riding the Wing. 40 to 45 MPH is not unusual.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:
Take Hwy. 65 unless you enjoy backing up traffic for miles. Save the scenic highways for driving without the camper.

I saw no traffic backed up behind me, but then I have road worthy equipment.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:

Well we hope to camp many of the campgrounds along this route and spend our tourist dollars in the small towns along the way. How do you suggest we get there? Planning on spending about 10 days in the area.
pawatt

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't hesitate!!!!! A beautiful Drive.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Ran all of that in the Spring pulling a 29' overall length with an F250. Good scenic ride and the Nimrod campground is nice. Check out Petit Jean.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend the COE Nimrod Lake campgrounds on Hwy 7 near Plainview, Ar

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:
It has been a while since I last drove, but I have done it pulling a boat trailer before, and would not be concerned with an RV, the shoulders may be a bit narrow in places, and there are curves, but I have seen worse. Now Hwy 7 south of I-30 is another matter. See https://goo.gl/maps/FGwx7PB2g4E2 this is a google street view of a railroad trellis with low clearance on Arkansas 7 just north of Camden, AR.

link below

https://goo.gl/maps/FGwx7PB2g4E2

Thanks, looks like Coach Net lists that bridge at 13 ft 1 inch
pawatt

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Drive attentively. I knew a guy (in-law of a close friend) who drove an 18-wheeler and died on one of those curvy AR Ozark highways, because some careless car driver went over the line coming toward him and he ditched it rather than hit the person head-on. He spared that driver but lost his own life in the process.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a while since I last drove, but I have done it pulling a boat trailer before, and would not be concerned with an RV, the shoulders may be a bit narrow in places, and there are curves, but I have seen worse. Now Hwy 7 south of I-30 is another matter. See https://goo.gl/maps/FGwx7PB2g4E2 this is a google street view of a railroad trellis with low clearance on Arkansas 7 just north of Camden, AR.

link below

https://goo.gl/maps/FGwx7PB2g4E2

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
We plan a week to 10 days on that stretch on the way to the Mexico border in Texas so should have plenty of time.
pawatt