cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy 36 across Kansas

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I will be leaving the Denver area heading to Saint Joseph MO and plan to go hwy 36.

Other than seeing alot of Kansas landscape is there anything else one should stop at and not miss? Its about a 10hr trip for me so plan on one over night, maybe two if there are things to no miss.

Your help with sights would be helpful. I also posted this on irv2 with not much response. Hope that doesn't mean there's not much to see
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly
16 REPLIES 16

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up in Kansas many years ago due to a break down. There is a lot to see in Kansas. Pony Express museum in Marysville and Hollenberg. First Territorial State capitol. Ft Riley infantry museum. Museum of Telephany and Eisenhower Home in Abilene.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
If you do not like tourists Kansas is a good place to live.
Kansas saw 35.6 million tourist in 2018, hardly insignificant. A 50 percent increase since 2009.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bob806 wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Bob806 wrote:
Funny you mention this, I've already booked a couple places in Kansas this summer, on the way home from Colorado. We've never camped in Kansas.

Lake Scott SP, then on to Wilson SP, up north to Cawker City & the world's largest Ball of Twine, then across US 36 to Macon, Mo and Long Branch SP.

Hey, I've met a few folks from Kansas at various campgrounds, and they say to skip Kansas, but I want to explore. The SPs in Kansas look pretty nice to me, so why not.
The state parks at the KS lakes are not bad.

It sure looks like that's true. Kansas Dept. of Wildlife & Tourism sent me a bunch of info on the state parks, which I appreciated.

I looked at Prairie Dog & Meade, Kanapolis & Elk City too but we just don't have the time to hit them all up on this trip.
Milford has some great RV sites. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
Bob806 wrote:
Funny you mention this, I've already booked a couple places in Kansas this summer, on the way home from Colorado. We've never camped in Kansas.

Lake Scott SP, then on to Wilson SP, up north to Cawker City & the world's largest Ball of Twine, then across US 36 to Macon, Mo and Long Branch SP.

Hey, I've met a few folks from Kansas at various campgrounds, and they say to skip Kansas, but I want to explore. The SPs in Kansas look pretty nice to me, so why not.

It sure looks like that's true. Kansas Dept. of Wildlife & Tourism sent me a bunch of info on the state parks, which I appreciated.

I looked at Prairie Dog & Meade, Kanapolis & Elk City too but we just don't have the time to hit them all up on this trip.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bob806 wrote:

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are just passing through, Marysville has a city park with free camping with electric hook-ups. If I recall correctly there was also a dump station.

36 is nice road with most of it being at decent speeds without the worry of the posted 80 mph interstate speeds.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
This has been a go to route for me for several trips from CO to IN. I prefer the drive versus I-70 or I-80. Small towns every 30 or so miles apart, don't really slow you down that much and provide break stops when needed.

I have also stayed at Prairie Dog SP for an overnight, it's a really nice park and campground with several sections. Had a FHU site in a new section with nice views of the lake. I've also stayed at Lovewell Lake SP, which is a bit further off US 36 but worth the detour. Also a very nice SP, with several different sections. Stayed in a section with a lot of big trees for shade and FHU pull thru sites. Both of these state parks were reasonably priced.

If you (or anyone else) has the need to continue on, US 36 across Missouri is also worthwhile compared to the I's. Four lanes all the way across; still some towns to go through but like KS, provides good stopping/stretching/fuelling points.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
When driving east in Ks watch yourself real close, and be sure you don't have anything they might frown at with you.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
The wife says there are only 2 good ways to see Kansas... at night or from 36,000’. I use I-70 so it only takes a day to put it behind me. The excitement used to be which side of the highway the tumble weed was on... not as much of it any more. Hopefully you’ll have a tailwind so it takes less time.
Isn't the Blairsville area where they filmed Deleverance?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have not traveled hwy 36 west of 135/81 but have drove from 81 going East. East it is rolling hills small towns and farmland. Don't know what your interested in.

Campgrounds at Wilson, Milford and Tuttle creek reservoirs or nice to spend time at but are along I-70. Along with the Eisenhower Museum and Walter Chrysler's boyhood home. Another neat thing is Atomic Annie a cannon that would launch a atom bomb, closed for now freadom park FT Riley.

There is a guide Ohio to CO US 36 guide.Com that have more information.

You can also go to hwy 36 Trip Advisor web site for more information.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I prefer US 36 over I-70.
As CloudDriver mentioned Prairie Dog SP is a nice stop.
North of Lebanon KS is the geographic center of the lower 48 states. Nice picnic area but that's about it.
Near Republic KS is the Pawnee Indian Museum which is very nice.
At Maryville KS is a Pony Express Museum but I don't know if it's open. It was closed due to covid.
Camped in every state

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I found Scott county lake/campground to be sort of interesting. drive up to it over flat country and the lake drops down away. Chalk pyramids interesting and then of course there is the world's largest ball of twine and I think largest hand dug well is also in KS. I'd probably take the interstate across however to avoid local stop and go and manure spreaders on the highway.
IIRC on one raffle/drawing second prize was two weeks in KS. first prize was one week.
bumpy

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
If you do not like tourists Kansas is a good place to live.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado