cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 299 east to west

dennysbabe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for up-to-date info on traveling Hwy 299 (Redding to Arcata). We don't mind curves and steep climbs as long as it's feasible with our 37' fifth wheel and the scenery is worth the drive. Any thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
Give yourself plenty of time. There are several construction delays. Could add 1 or more hours extra if you hit them wrong.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We travel that route numerous times per year. Best part for us is the section between Weaverville and Willow Creek, as the road follows the Trinity River.
Currently there is road construction (re-alignment) heading up to Buckhorn summit just west of Whiskeytown Lake. I would recommend leaving Redding early am (by 9am) to beat the heat of the construction delay. Enjoy the trip

Phils
Explorer
Explorer
It is the way we usually go to the coast, and I believe I've tried every different route at least once (hwy 36 I tried WITHOUT the trailer, of course).

There is construction along the route. They've run news stories and updates on the Redding TV station. It is a well maintained road and you will have no problems. The scenery is ok. The grades are steep but there are usually extra lanes.

Once you reach hwy 101, the scenery is excellent! Don't miss Fern Canyon by Orick, if you can make it. Your trailer will NOT be allowed on that 5 or 6 mile drive to get there, but it's worth it IMHO, if you can stash the trailer or leave it at a nearby campsite.

The only other acceptable routes with a trailer would be Hwy 20 from Williams to 101, and hwy 199 from Grants Pass to 101.

Phil
'03 F250 7.3 deezle and '01 Komfort 27FS
Off the grid and outta sight at home
Go camping to have neighbors and amenities