cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy 285 between Carlsbad, NM and Fort Stockton, TX

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Had the unfortunate displeasure of traveling this road today and want to caution others to avoid it AT ALL COSTS. Of the 120 miles between the two cities there is 60 miles of road construction. There are no curbs or emergency lanes, no center divider just a small stripe, lane shifts constantly, always people trying to pass into on coming traffic. If heading north to Carlsbad you will be in a 7 mile long backup because of a single stop sign in a intersection that all I can describe it as is a pit, the thousands of oil field workers and thousands of big rigs bringing pipe in didn't help either. Heading south was not too bad but I really could of used a off road desert racing truck for the road. I can not believe we didn't have a blow out on the trailer.

I do not know their schedule but the magnitude of what they are doing I do not recommend traveling 285 to or from Carlsbad for all of 2019. There is no way this route will be fixed this year.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler
3 REPLIES 3

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
timandsusan wrote:
We stopped using 285 north from Ft. Stockton about 3 years ago after experiencing oil field traffic--those fellows are working for a pay check--I am retired and trying to enjoy life. So we go west on I-10 to Las Cruces and then north on I25 to Santa Fe and Colorado! If you go that route, use 375 around El Paso.

X2^^

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped using 285 north from Ft. Stockton about 3 years ago after experiencing oil field traffic--those fellows are working for a pay check--I am retired and trying to enjoy life. So we go west on I-10 to Las Cruces and then north on I25 to Santa Fe and Colorado! If you go that route, use 375 around El Paso.

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhh the DOT total job security. At least it will be fixed some day and should last a season before needing repairs again. I should have kept that job with the Fed Highway Admin. 😉
Turret Class traveler