cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway 89 in Utah

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Kodachrome SP and go to Virgin, UT from here. BUT 89 South from 12 looks like a dirt road. Any comment Utahans? Than you very much. Betsy.
Betsy
7 REPLIES 7

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
I realized later that the dirt road we passed was not 89. Thanks all. Betsy.
Betsy

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:
I have the eBook version (east/west combo) on my laptop and never plan a trip without it - especially in mountainous states:

The Mountain Directory

Rob

When people advertise the Mountain Directory for specific route questions, I wish they'd just post or summarize any relevant notices. For example on the 89/9 they might warn of a tunnel with height restrictions through Zion NP. Or grades on the alternative US 14 to Cedar City. Or lack of any notices for US89 itself.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the eBook version (east/west combo) on my laptop and never plan a trip without it - especially in mountainous states:

The Mountain Directory

Another handy RV trip planning tool is:

RV Trip Wizard

RV Trip Wizard is extremely handy for both planning routes and finding places to stay. It's a paid subscription service, but I find it worth every penny. It cut planning time by 2/3 for me on our 3,600 mile, 30+ stop trip last spring.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said 89 is a good paved road with no issues.

If you are at Kodachrome SP as long as you go north to HWY 12 then west to 89 no problem at all. If you are thinking about going south out of Kodachrome SP down to 89 then yes that is a dirt road with a fair amount of washboard. It is a long haul on a slow road with a lot of washboard and a couple of really good steep grades. Part of that road is very pretty the second half or so not so much. I have taken a popup trailer up that road from 89 up towards the State park and made it fine but it was not the smartest thing I ever did. No way would I take a motorhome, travel trailer or fifth wheel. A class B would probably be ok However since you are going to Virgin there would be no good reason to go that way since it will take longer than the highway.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Curious where you are looking that 89 looks like a dirt road? As others wrote, you should have no problem driving that section of 89.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
US89 south of Utah 12 is a great road. Our preferred route toward Arizona each year. Has its winding bits, but no gravel that I recall. Great bakery in Orderville, too.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
U.S. Route 89 is a 2-lane highway. It's paved, it has shoulders, and passing lanes on grades. I even remember at least one rest area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_89_in_Utah