cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hickory NC - Coeburn/McClure VA

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in going to a Bluegrass Festival deep in the mountains of Coeburn/McClure VA from Hickory NC (or Asheville). 40' DP towing.

Goggle Earth and several other apps say there are some 10% grades and curves but nothing jumps out at me as being a no-go. Am I wrong? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
7 REPLIES 7

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia, you were right. All went well. We decided to go through Boone and then over to 81 for a few miles. Great ride there except they're working on a bridge and the width clearance is 10'. I think we must be 9"10"!!! That was puckering. Alt 58 was great. We missed the turn in Coeburn on 72 but corrected. Some coal trucks but no big issue as I would just stop near curves and let them go by. The last few miles into the park were sketchy but only if someone came the other way...they didn't so all was good. What a beautiful countryside and great people. This is going to be a good one. Thanks for your help.
Hickory, NC

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again! We'll try and see all these sights! Appreciate the tips.
Hickory, NC

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't realize that was the weekend for the RS festival. Let me re-think my directions. Take alt 58 w to St Paul and then take Rt 63 to McClure. Again, not really the best roads around, but that will be the quickest for you and tractor trailer coal trucks use these roads each and every day. You will probably pass several on your way. Just so you know.

This area has a plethora of music venues and that just begins "the season". If you have more time, you should plan to hang around for a few more days and take in the Country Cabin, Appalachian Traditions, the Carter Fold and the RS Museum There are many, many more and you can get old-time music almost every day/evening of the week.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Merrykalia! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! We're going to "Dr. Ralph Stanley's 48th Annual Hills of Home Festival", Memorial Day Weekend May 24 - May 26, 2018. They have camping on the grounds. LINK

Again, thanks!
Hickory, NC

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I live about 12 miles from Coeburn, and we have a 42'11" fifth wheel pulled by a dually pickup. We have no problem making this trip and make it at least twice a year. We don't go all the way to McClure, but big coal trucks travel those roads each and every day, so other than passing them on a 2 lane road, you couldn't have any problem. (That is only from Coeburn to McClure or Clintwood.

So if I were coming from Hickory, I would travel I-77 to Wytheville, VA. I-81 south to Abingdon, VA. Take exit 14 and travel Alt Rt 58E to Coeburn, VA. I would take Rt 72 out of Coeburn towards McClure.

If I were coming from Asheville, Take I-26W to the TN/VA line where it turns into Rt 23. (Google"The Crooked Road" if you are interested in Bluegrass Music). Rt 23 runs right by Hiltons, VA (Carter Family Fold), but continues on to the Ky border (4 lane limited access highway) In Norton, you will leave Rt 23 and merge onto Alt Rt 58W to Coeburn.

Where are you planning to camp? PM me for some suggestions if you don't have a plan.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
I should have said that I'm familiar with the Boone and Asheville area, its the northern side up into the back roads of TN and VA that I know nothing about. Thanks.
Hickory, NC

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you would have any trouble on i26 from Ashville big rigs,campers do it everyday,I77 to 421 to Boone isn't to bad,we do it several time a year with a 36ft.5th wheel.can't say about 321 not been through their since they started working on the road from blowing rock to Lenoir.