JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
What Not to Miss -

ALBERTA

Icefield Parkway - Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff

BRITISH COLUMBIA

Mile "0" Signpost - Dawson Creek, Alaska Highway
Liard Hot Springs - Alaska Highway (historic mile 497)
Dease Lake (Cassiar Hwy) drive Telegraph Creek (not suited for large RVs)
Atlin โ€“ south of Tagish/Whitehorse area
Salmon Glacier - end of the road past Stewart BC & Hyder AK

YUKON

Frantic Follies Show - Whitehorse
Klondike Rib & Salmon BBQ โ€“ Whitehorse
Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre โ€“ Whitehorse
Dawson City Museum โ€“ Dawson City
Top of the World Hwy - Dawson City
Keno City Mining Museum โ€“ Keno
Watson Lake Sign Post Forest
Wildlife Gallery โ€“ Yukon Motel, Teslin
Kluane Museum of Natural History โ€“ Burwash

ALASKA

Barrow โ€“ north Alaska, fly-in only
Chicken - Tisha's School House via Taylor Hwy or Top of the World Hwy

SOUTHEAST ALASKA
White Bus (Lunch) โ€“ Hyder via Cassiar Hwy B.C.
Skagway AK - drive south of Whitehorse YT
Haines AK - drive south of Haines Junction YT
Wrangell Jet Boat Tour - LeConte Glacier Ferry (ferry or fly-in)
Ketchikan - Deadliest catch Tour (ferry or fly-in)
Juneau - glacier helicopter & dogsled-on-glacier tour

FAIRBANKS & AREA
Santa Claus House - North Pole AK near Fairbanks
Knotty Shop โ€“ Mile 332 Richardson Hwy near Fairbanks
Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center

ANCHORAGE & AREA
Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center - Downtown Anchorage
Alaska Native Medical Center - Anchorage
Crow's Nest (meal Captain Cook Hotel)
Simon & Seafort's Saloon - Anchorage
Charter Plane - Anchorage/Chugach Mountains
Alaska Native Heritage Center
Moose Tooth Pub -Anchorage

KENAI PENINSULA & AREA
Seward
Kenai Fjords Boat Tours โ€“ Seward
Seward Silver Salmon Derby - Aug 10-18 Kenai Peninsula
Alyeska Tram & Resort - Girdwood (dinner is great here-Seven Glaciers)
Winner Creek Trail at Alyeska, near Girdwood
Double Musky (Dinner) - Girdwood
Pratt Museum โ€“ Homer
Homer High Rd Drive
Halibut Cove in Homer - Dinner at Saltry
Community of Hope - Between Anchorage and Seward
White water Rafting - Hope
Williwaw Campground (Chugach National Forest) - Portage Glacier
Glacier Tours โ€“ Glaciers

DENALI & PARKS HWY AREA
Denali Park Bus Tour
Denali River Rafting - Rafting (mild to wild)
Mary's McKinley View Lodge (view and dinner) โ€“ Trapper Creek
Drive Denali Hwy between Cantwell & Paxson
Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge
Talkeetna Sightsee Flight- Mt Mckinley/Denali

EVENTS
Kluane Mountain Bluegrass Festival โ€“ June 7-9, Whitehorse YT
Chickenstock Music Festival โ€“ June 14-15, Chicken AK
Atlin Arts & Music Festival โ€“ July 12-14, Atlin BC
Dawson City Music Festival โ€“ July 19-21, Dawson City YT
Alaska State Fair โ€“ Aug 22 โ€“ Sept 2, Palmer AK
108th Annual Midnight Sun Baseball Game - June 21, Fairbanks

Packing Ideas:

Milepost
Travelers Guide to Alaska Camping - Church
Toursaver Coupon Book
Binoculars
Camera
Extra batteries
Kindle- Books-Audio Books
CD's and DVD's
Special Food Likes
"Roll Call Alaska 2013" signs
Walkie Talkie
Deet
Fishing Gear
Puppy Documents
Passports
Raingear
Mud Boots
Fishing Gear
Tarps
Window Bug Cleaner
Black-out Curtain or sleep masks- Window coverings
Prescriptions or special meds ie: Prilosec, Tylenol PM
Debit Card and Credit Cards
Canadian Coins
Sign for the Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake - Nails and Hammer
Maps/ GPS
Books/ Magazines
Cell Phone/ Internet
Smart Phone/ Tablet apps for Camps/business and fuel
Spare Parts -Fuel Filters, Engine Belts, Extensions for E,W,S and Cable
Tools
Fuses
Gorilla Tape
Reflectors
Velcro
Evaporated Milk
Vehicle Insurance Documentation
Extra Air Filters
Cell phone amplifier / external antennas
Personal Locator Beacon
Bear Spray
Cash
Non-beef pet food in orginal containers

Things to do before leaving

Turn off water to house.

Set yard sprinklers (we have 2 meters, one for house and one for lawn, Iโ€™ll be shutting off the one for the house)

Turn off water heater

Put Saran wrap on toilets, on drains in sinks, bathtubs, showers, make sure to do kitchen sink (make sure to fill trap first)

Set AC in house for 85 to 90*

Stop newspaper

Stop mail (in our case we are forwarding it to UPS store and they well mail it to us where we ask them)

Set up auto billing for monthly ocurring costs and have electronic billing. (Utilities)

Get lawn care service if needed

Talk to lawn service to make sure they donโ€™t leave any receipts on the front door

Talk to the police to see if they have a vacation watch

Neighbor across the street is going to place their trash cans in our drive once in a while and make sure no fliers are left on our front entry.

Set timers to turn on and off lights and radio in room that has the blinds closed

Unplug all electrical appliances (TVs, coffee pot, toaster, clocks that are plugged in, chargers, cable boxes, DVD players, Surround sound amps, printers, shredder, electric blankets, mirror, plug in flashlights, night lights, table lamps unless used with timers, night time reading lights, sewing machines, refrigerator in garage)

Drain coffee pot

Shutoff ice maker and empty the ice

Turn the refrigerator in house up a couple degrees. (empty contents except condiments)

Turn off gas to fireplace

Suspend trash service.

******These lists were a great help to all of us that traveled this year. Hope it helps all future Alaska bound RV'ers. Thanks again to everyone that contributed to making these lists and our travels wonderful.*******
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow
92 REPLIES 92

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Donh1 wrote:
I'm new to this but I have an important thing that is a must do before leaving home. Make yourself very familiar with your jack and spare tire. If you have aluminum rims be sure that they are properly greased between the rim and Axle. The aluminum and steel tend to corrode together and are almost impossible to get off at roadside. The best thing to do is to physically satisfy yourself that you are able to do the tire change both for your truck and trailer. You may discover that you will need an extentsion on your lug wrench just to undo the wheel nuts. Better to sort this out in your driveway rather than on the side of the Alaska highway.

One of my tires leaked down while in my driveway. I decided to pull the tire myself and take it back to the tire store rather than drag the FW. The store is on a narrow side street with a very small parking lot.

I couldn't get the lugs loose. I was a mechanic for many years and I'm a big guy. I used an impact wrench and when that didn't work I tried a breaker bar and a three foot long pipe. I bent both the pipe and the breaker bar. I finally gave up and took the FW back to the shop. I can't believe they managed to tighten the lugs that tight without damaging the stud.

Donh1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to this but I have an important thing that is a must do before leaving home. Make yourself very familiar with your jack and spare tire. If you have aluminum rims be sure that they are properly greased between the rim and Axle. The aluminum and steel tend to corrode together and are almost impossible to get off at roadside. The best thing to do is to physically satisfy yourself that you are able to do the tire change both for your truck and trailer. You may discover that you will need an extentsion on your lug wrench just to undo the wheel nuts. Better to sort this out in your driveway rather than on the side of the Alaska highway.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Kidoo wrote:
gatorcq wrote:
I have made inquiries, to friends who have traveled THRU Canada to Alaska, concerning liquor.
So, I had to share.
Sven, was able to travel with 3 cases of wine THRU Alaska with Canadian permission. Here is what he said. I am going to Alaska and will be traveling thru Canada. He was asked how long it would take to get to Alaska, his reply was, as long as it takes in my RV. They wished him a safe journey and he went on his way.

I think as a US citizen you are not subject to Canadian import rules. As I understand, it is your wine for you to drink and not for resale. You will be subject to importing US rules if you take wine from Canada to USA. When you cross the border in Alaska, make sure you have the US bill of sale, meaning as a US citizen, you brought wine from USA to USA.

Same when I go to USA, I bring my beer from Canada and I also brought some wine before. They don't seem to be concerned about alcool as long as it is for my own use. Once or twice I was ask if it was for my own use. When I come back to Canada, then I will be subject to Canada import rules, 2 bottles of wine or 24 beer. If this beer is Canadian beer that I bring back to Canada and I have the bill of sale, then no import tax.

By the way, you can import as much as you want, you just have to pay taxes and import fees, and it is not worth it.
These 2 posts raised a big red flag for me.

There are posted regulations on limited duty free amounts of alcohol.

As a US resident you should understand the CBSA regulations concerning "In-transit travel through Canada".

For us in 2013 the regulations for declaring wine both when entering and exiting Canada and the possibility of a security deposit made the decision for us. Plus we had an open schedule that could include several trips into SE Alaska was also a consideration. Today's regulations may have changed.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Thanks, I just went to the Web site. Indeed it says you are limited for alcool and tobaco when you are a traveler visiting Canada. It seems to be the same rules as for Canadian since they refer you to the limit page concerning alcool and tobaco.

The first page although tells you that you can bring almost anything, except for some illegal product of course, but you cannot sell it or give it to someone.

The page about alcool indicates your limit if you left Canada for 48 hours or more, I guess they did not made any disctinction if you are a non-resident or a resident. You can bring more but will have to pay taxes / duties.

The Canadian custom people have lots of room for interpretation of the rules. At the worst, you will pay duties. If you take cheap wine in a box, it will probably cost you the same as if you bought it in Canada, at the best, they will say have a nice trip. As long as you declare, there is no problem.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kidoo wrote:
gatorcq wrote:
I have made inquiries, to friends who have traveled THRU Canada to Alaska, concerning liquor.
So, I had to share.
Sven, was able to travel with 3 cases of wine THRU Alaska with Canadian permission. Here is what he said. I am going to Alaska and will be traveling thru Canada. He was asked how long it would take to get to Alaska, his reply was, as long as it takes in my RV. They wished him a safe journey and he went on his way.

I think as a US citizen you are not subject to Canadian import rules. As I understand, it is your wine for you to drink and not for resale. You will be subject to importing US rules if you take wine from Canada to USA. When you cross the border in Alaska, make sure you have the US bill of sale, meaning as a US citizen, you brought wine from USA to USA.

Same when I go to USA, I bring my beer from Canada and I also brought some wine before. They don't seem to be concerned about alcool as long as it is for my own use. Once or twice I was ask if it was for my own use. When I come back to Canada, then I will be subject to Canada import rules, 2 bottles of wine or 24 beer. If this beer is Canadian beer that I bring back to Canada and I have the bill of sale, then no import tax.

By the way, you can import as much as you want, you just have to pay taxes and import fees, and it is not worth it.
These 2 posts raised a big red flag for me.

There are posted regulations on limited duty free amounts of alcohol.

As a US resident you should understand the CBSA regulations concerning "In-transit travel through Canada".

For us in 2013 the regulations for declaring wine both when entering and exiting Canada and the possibility of a security deposit made the decision for us. Plus we had an open schedule that could include several trips into SE Alaska was also a consideration. Today's regulations may have changed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
So, I had to share.

Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Carrera glider wrote:
I'm talking to friends around the state to find good shops to repair broken toys, travel trailers and motor homes. I will only post those repair facilities that will be recommend by local residence.

Anchorage - Alaska Spring & Performance

600 E 48th Ave
Anchorage, AK 99503
Get Directions
Phone number (907) 563-3802
Business websitealaskaspringandperformance.com

Tok -
There are two r.v.repair shops in Tok. Willard's Garage and The Tok R.V. Center.

Willards is the better of the two by far. They have wreckers and I believe two mechanics on hand.

Fairbanks -
Phillips Wreck is the only one I have dealt with in Fairbanks.
They seemed to know their parts.

Still looking for more info. Check back, hopefully you won't need assistance.

Rocks & Bug protection

Rust Oleum Rock Guard - is a temporary spray on film that will provided some protection from rocks.
Best used as bug protection inexpensive and can be removed at the end of the trip.

A better product for rock protection Invisi Mask - it can be be purchased precut to fit the front of your RV and installed professionly or do it yourself. My wife and i installed it ourselves. It also can be purchased by the foot in widths of 18 or 24 inches. We purchased it for the front of the Nest Egg we installed it too. It is a little more difficult with large sheets.

For rock protection, I bought some transit shield.
https://www.carid.com/surface-shields/36-x-32-transit-shield-mpn-tr3632.html
Some caravan use that stuff.
You put it on and remove after your trip.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
So, I had to share.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
I'm talking to friends around the state to find good shops to repair broken toys, travel trailers and motor homes. I will only post those repair facilities that will be recommend by local residence.

Anchorage - Alaska Spring & Performance

600 E 48th Ave
Anchorage, AK 99503
Get Directions
Phone number (907) 563-3802
Business websitealaskaspringandperformance.com

Tok -
There are two r.v.repair shops in Tok. Willard's Garage and The Tok R.V. Center.

Willards is the better of the two by far. They have wreckers and I believe two mechanics on hand.

Fairbanks -
Phillips Wreck is the only one I have dealt with in Fairbanks.
They seemed to know their parts.

Still looking for more info. Check back, hopefully you won't need assistance.

Rocks & Bug protection

Rust Oleum Rock Guard - is a temporary spray on film that will provided some protection from rocks.
Best used as bug protection inexpensive and can be removed at the end of the trip.

A better product for rock protection Invisi Mask - it can be be purchased precut to fit the front of your RV and installed professionly or do it yourself. My wife and i installed it ourselves. It also can be purchased by the foot in widths of 18 or 24 inches. We purchased it for the front of the Nest Egg we installed it too. It is a little more difficult with large sheets.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great site for information for travel in Canada.
Sue Thomas, has done a great job putting together a pictorial travel guide.
Sue even includes her email address.

http://yukonsights.ca/20130505_Faro-Home.html
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
His_Hers_Alaska wrote:
Hello,
We are new to the forum and want to introduce ourselves on this thread. We are avid RV'ers from Seward, Alaska and host an Alaska RV travel blog with local knowledge and insider information.
www.his-hers-alaska.com
If you have any questions, we'd like to help.

Great... the more info the better. As a first time I can't read enough of this. We should be down your way towards the end of July...assuming all goes as planned.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

His_Hers_Alaska
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
We are new to the forum and want to introduce ourselves on this thread. We are avid RV'ers from Seward, Alaska and host an Alaska RV travel blog with local knowledge and insider information.
www.his-hers-alaska.com
If you have any questions, we'd like to help.
Ben & Rebecca Pazdernik
Seward, Alaska

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
To add to Janet's list.

Joyce and I will be adding to list but only posting updates in the future
If you have a specific question or help researching - private message and I will
help find an answer. If we haven't done it we probably know someone who has.

Western Route in Canada begins in Washington.

Most scenic route Hope to Prince George

Cassiar
Cassiar on your way to or back from, great two lane rd., I drove it last September much more scenic than Dawson Cr. very little construction. The only pavement breaks were near Dease Lake, BC, very short breaks I think the longest about 1/4 mile.  Plenty of places to pull off to do a little hiking, fishing, camping.
I saw 6 black bears at the end of the day in a twenty mile stretch so be careful if traveling at night.

Side trips
Small camp grounds.
Lakes to camp next to fish or canoe.
Water Falls and Glaciers.
Stewart small community kind of a long side trip plus must retrace rte.

Heading to Alaska
I would take rte 3 to 5 North from Hope to Kamloops cross back over to rte 1 then on to Prince George then on to the Cassiar by passing the Frasier River Canyon on the way to Alaska.
Connects: Yellowhead Hwy. to Alaska  Hwy.
Route#: BC Highway 37
Length: 450 miles
saves about 130 miles/210 km. off the Alaska Hwy

On the way back down take the Frasier River Canyon rte. to Hope.
Frasier River/Canyon is a must see. Very steep grade but down hill going South, take a little time stop and take in the sights.

Tok, Dawson, Top of the World Hwy, Whitehorse, Haines Jct. loop is one of our favorite trips.

For you it would start at Whitehorse Yukon, Klondike Highway.

Expect to see:
Caribou, wolves and grizzly bears and millions of migratory birds. Lynx, coyotes, foxes, Moose. Scan the landscape for movement. Wildlife are more active in early morning and evening. Fishing and camping

I would take this route if you intend to see some of Canada on the way to Alaska.

Whitehorse to Tok Northern route

Klondike Hwy
Whitehorse to Dawson - Klondike Hwy good Hwy 330 miles.

Side trips:

Canoe / Kayak the Yukon river Whitehorse to Dawson 15 - 17 days
Five finger rapids - 2:30 โ€“ 3:30 hours paddling time downstream from Carmacks, and is not particularly challenging if run right. check this web site for more information:.
https://yukon1000.com/new/5fingers.php
There are a few Youtube videos running 5 finger.

Silver Trail
Whitehorse to Stewart Crossing,
Then east on the Silver Trail to the historic frontier mining towns of Mayo and Keno. Highway #11.
Head to Mayo; Visit Binet House in Mayo to plan activities in the area.
Keno; to visit the Keno City Mining Museum, a collection of mining artifacts.

Dempster Highway
Take a detour on to the Dempster Hwy visit Tonestone Territorial park or head further North to the Arctic Circle.
Tombstone Territorial Park, hiking, camping - Tombstone, Engineer Creek or Rock River campgrounds
Dempster accommodations Eagle Plains near the Arctic Circle
Cross the Arctic Circle
Inuvik far North City

Dawson City
http://dawsoncity.ca/itineraries/sourdough-challenge-bucket-list/ Dawson City
Museum, also a Train Museum
Robert Service, home; The Cremation of Sam McGee; a must read for a trip to Dawson City.
Visit the Dredge No. 4, maybe pan for a little gold.
Dรคnojร  Zho Cultural Centre
Diamond Tooth Gerties, Canadaโ€™s oldest gambling hall good food, nice show and lots of fun.

Top of the World Highway, to Tailer Highway, to Tok.
Highway is a misnomer it is a mostly gravel road.
Cross the river from Dawson, the ferry is free.
The highway is mostly unpaved but is in reasonable condition as long as you take your time.
Cross the border on top of the mountains not quite half way. Spend time at least one over night camping. There are a couple camp grounds but you can find a place to pull out if you like. The entire trip can easily be done in a day itโ€™s only about 187 miles to Tok.
See relics of the Gold Rush en route. A dredge abandoned near the Highway. The old lodge at Boundary, may have burned down. Last trip it was still there but abandoned.
Chicken is a small community about 1/2 way.
Visit the historic dredges, have a bite to eat.
Chickenstock Music Festival โ€“ June 14-15?
Chicken - Tisha's School House via Taylor Hwy or Top of the World Hwy
Chicken has Fuel if necessary it will be expensive.

Yukon things to do.
Dawson City -Apr 02, 05 2015. Film festival
Dawson City - June 13, 2015 Commissionerโ€™s Ball at Dawson City's renowned Palace Grand Theatre. Get decked out in all your finest and step back in time.
Dawson City - Jun 20, 2015, National Aboriginal Day with outdoor events including the Hรคn Singers, live contemporary music, tours, activities, refreshments and an opportunity to visit our heritage galleries.
Dawson City - July 24-26, 2015 Music Festival
Dawson City - July 4, 2015 Yukon Gold Panning Championships
Haines Junction - June 12-14, 2015 Mountain Bluegrass Festival
Whitehorse - Jun 12, 2015 Sunstroke Music Festival Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre
Atlin - Jul 10-15 2015 Annual arts and music festivals

Alaska

I read were people want to travel the Dalton Hwy on these forums, I would not suggest it. The road is traveled by 18 wheelers that are on a mission and do not drive slowly (broken windshields). If it rains the road turns into a muddy mess. Joyceโ€™s trip up they went through three tires. There are very few services.
If it is a dream of yours to cross the Arctic Circle I would use the Dempster Hwy in Canada. Less traffic and if you are going to Dawson you are almost there.

Fairbanks

We donโ€™t live in Fairbanks so most of our time up there is as a tourist doing tourist things.
We have done a couple of float trips up North this is a great site for guided trips. Some are very mild and can be done without a guide others not so mild should be guided.
http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/rafting-toursI
Chena Hot Springs - not as well kept as it use to be but still a side trip.
University of Alaska Museum of the North
Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium
Pioneer Parks - Alaska Native Museum

Click on the links to go to page.
Fairbanks Community Museum,
Pioneer Air Museum,
Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum,
Tanana Valley Railroad Museum.
Or go at your own pace with a self-guided walking tour of history or art in downtown Fairbanks.
http://www.alaska.org/destination/fairbanks/attractions

Fairbanks to Denali National Park on the Parks Highway
Denali National Park
Take a float trip it is well guided and fun for all ages.
http://www.alaska.org/detail/nenana-river1
Your choice of Oar Rafts or Paddle Rafts.
Denali National Park - Usually a must for tourist, you drive in a short distance in your car/RV or ride the school buses that parks provides. There are commercial operators as well, probably more comfortable. If you have camp ground reservations you can drive into the camp ground and use the buses to get around.

Denali Highway
Side trip:
The original access to Denali Highway, most people skip this road in favor of the more established paved highways.
Generally open from mid-May to October 1; Denali Highway guidebook available over-the-counter for $10 each at BLM's Glennallen Field Office during weekday hours or you can order your copy by calling the Glennallen Field Office at (907) 822-3217. You may be able to order ahead of time if you are interest. I am not sure if you can pick one up in Cantwell.
 130 miles,  connects Cantwell on the Parks Highway to Paxon on the Richardson Highway. Rough road, slow going, weather is unpredictable it can snow even in the summer but doesn't usually last.
One way to connect up to McCarthy / Kennicott or you can continue South on the Parks Highway to Anchorage and points South.

Some services are available along the Denali Highway businesses come and go, fuel up before you start make sure your tires are in good shape.
Camping - Tangle Lakes - great place to canoe or kayak
Good info.
http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo/denali_highway_points.html

Side trip:
This is a relic to the Copper mining in Alaska, interesting to us but to be honest not a lot there. Camping, Hiking etc.. You might like it because it is off the beaten path.

McCarthy-Kennicott Museum 
Small Museum barely a building but it did look back into the past.
Open 7 days a week beginning Memorial Day weekend. Numerous pictures, documents, charts, maps and artifacts are on exhibit. A model of the Bonanza Mine is also on display in a box car next to the museum.

Kennicott Mine & Kennicott Glacier 
Tour the old mining site & town.
They had organized Glacier hike, they would take you out on the ice for a little adventure. Some of these operations go come and go, just don't venture out on your own if you can't find a guide.
Flight seeing trips are available.

Palmer

Lake Creek Float Trips - two options
Chelatna Lake - 54 miles 4 - 7 days
Quiet Lake - mid way along Lake Creek shorter still great fishing
Deshka River - is a river in southern-central Alaska. The Deshka River is one of Southcentral Alaska's premier sport fishing streams.
Nancy Lakes- 13 rustic cabins that are available for rent on a nightly basis
Muskox farm a unique animal you wonโ€™t see anywhere else.
Hatcher Pass - Remnants of a hard rock gold mine.
Government Peak Camp ground. Small camp ground 8 sites, fills up early on the weekends.
Gold Mint Trail, parking area Camping is aloud.
You can camp on the rd over the pass and if you ask you may be able to camp at the parking lot at Marmot Mt..
Hatcher Pass hiking - many trails, from very easy to strenuous.
At the top of the pass - April Bowl Trail starts here and climbs to a smaller alpine lake. Adventurous hikers can continue climbing to the summit Hatcher Peak to the south. You can hike for days and never hike the same trail.
On most good days June thru September you might catch me there flying a Paraglider. In the winter there is Snow Machining and skiing.
The pass usually doesn't open until the first of July depending on the snow on the road. It is a scenic drive if you hike nearly any valley you will come across relics of the gold mining era.
Cross the pass Willow to Palmer or the other way narrow winding road.

Palmer State Fair at the end of summer giant vegetables, typical fair.

Most of the mountains in the area have trail heads to hike into the wilderness. This is not Zion National Park so donโ€™t expect paved trails or any park rangers. Once you step into the wilderness here you are on your own.

ANCHORAGE / Eagle River & AREA
Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center - Downtown Anchorage
Crow's Nest (meal Captain Cook Hotel) 
Simon & Seafort's - Anchorage
Arctic Road Runner - for a great burger
Flight Seeing - Anchorage/Chugach Mountains 
Alaska Native Heritage Center
Moose Tooth Pub - pizza local hang out
Short hikes usually not more than two - three hours.
Hike Turnagain trail it can be done in stages
Hike Flat Top Mt.
Hike Oโ€™malley Peak
Hike Alpenglow to Gordon Lyons
Hike Mt. Baldy over looking the town of Eagle River right in the center of town
Hike Bear Mt. over looks Mirror lake on one side and Eklutna Lake on the other side.
Eklutha Lake campground - 50 campsites in the mountains just North of Anchorage - hiking, canoeing - Cabin at the very back of the valley, Pepper Peak just above the campground. On a good day you may see us Paragliding right over your head.
Eagle River campground is pretty good only 12 miles to Anchorage.
Donโ€™t stay at any of the camp grounds in Anchorage they are terrible. Just stay a Walmart you will have the same experience.
Train ride to Seward - I would recommend one way have someone drive the RV to Seward.
Canoeing/rafting Spencer Glacier

Alyeska
Girdwood
Alyeska Tram & Resort -(dinner - Seven Glaciers)
If you ride up the tram you can hike around on the Mountain. It is a free ride down if you hike up. Takes about an hour to hike if you are in reasonable shape. We hike up for the exercise then fly Paragliders or ride the tram down.
Chair 5 restaurant is a local hang out.
The Bake Shop - another local eatery, good food - down by the Day Lodge
Winner Creek Trail at Alyeska, short hike with hand tram to cross the creek. Leave a car at one end of the trail so you donโ€™t have to hike both ways.
Double Musky (Dinner) - Girdwood good restaurant hard to get in and relatively expensive.

Whittier
Whittier via Portage Glacier Not much here but Ferry Terminal and access to Prince William Sound. If you want to see one of the most beautiful places on earth take a tour. I canโ€™t promise you will see whales but we always see Puffins, Seals, Sea Lions and Glaciers.
Glacier Tours - the best we have been on is:
Prince William Sound - 26 Glacier Tour - ends by 6 pm so you could head down to Seward, itโ€™s about a 2 hour drive or stay at:
Portage - Williwaw Campground (Chugach National Forest)

Hope
Hope - Side trip on your way South to Seward
Old gold mine, tailings, Mining small museum. Mining was done by Water Gun a very destructive process that has taken years to recover.
White water Rafting - 6 mile creek - Hope

KENAI PENINSULA AREA & Seward
Seward
Primrose campground - outside of Seward
Hike Primrose Lost lake trail 16 miles great hike, takes about 6 hours. We leave a car at the fire station end at the trail head - locals can direct you.
Campground in Seward as well.
Seward Silver Salmon Derby - Aug
Charters Sight seeing and Fishing
Kenai Fjords Boat Tours โ€“ Seward
Exit Glacier - easy hike
Mount Marathon - race July 4th race distance is 3.1 miles, with an elevation gain of 3,022 feet. If you are adventurous you to can climb the Mt. just not on race day.

Kenai Peninsula
Swanson River Canoe Route - 80 miles including 40 lakes and 46 miles of the Swanson RiverPratt Museum โ€“ Homer
Homer High Rd Drive
Halibut Cove in Homer - Dinner at Salty Dawg
Halibut fishing - charters
Kachemak Bay - t
Trip over to Seldovia quiet little village.
Sight seeing tours

Trips that Joyce and I think may be of interest to you.
Fall trip to Kaktovic to see the Polar Bears - Joyce was on a photo shoot two years ago in Kaktovic, she photographed more than forty Polar bears.
Kaktovic has very limited lodging so must have reservations before you go or best to be on a guided trip.
July trip would be to Katmai National Park, Brooks Camp - photograph Brown bears, this is a unique jaunt that can be done in one day but not cheap $750 ea. for airfare. If you stay the night it can be $900 for a one night package per person. Joyce is the photographer generally a bear nut so she will go nearly anywhere to be near the bears. Both of these trips if you get to experience the bears you will be very, very close within 30 feet some times less, my preference is 100 yards and that may be a little close.
McNeil River is a lottery it is very hard to win, that is why we suggest Katmai, Brooks Camp. Expect a crowd on the over look because it is very popular.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

cgflyer
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Alaska from NC in 2013 and were debating on installing a washer/dryer or just using the campground laundry. We were accompanied by our 5 children and decided to get a combo unit, one of the best decisions we made for the trip. 45 days on the road and never lost time waiting on laundry, just throw in a load every night and keeping up was easy. They do use a lot of water, so on our boondocking nights we might skip. Going up again late June 2015 to do it all again.

cgflyer
Explorer
Explorer
My Verizon plan allowed for unlimited texting, even in Canada, calls were .99 a minute. If you're affiliated with the military and want to camp on base in Anchorage, they have a campground on the Army side and the Air Force side. Only the Army side has on site sanitation hookup and they spray for mosquitoes! Air Force side has a community dump station and no spray.

Powerstroke2000
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest making sure the wheel bearings for those going to Alaska...on your trailer, are packed with grease prior to the trip! Had an incident with mine a few years back..on a Friday night, and there where no parts available until the next week, so we where stranded at the repair shop for 5 days! So, when bearings go, you possibly might even have to change the whole axle (which I did have to) thus making getting parts even more difficult. So, pack them wheel bearings before any long trip, as often they might go on you in mountainous terrain with no cities around. Also, having an AA or AAA membership is a plus as well, which I had for the vehicle, but neglected at the time of registration to get it for any pull trailer behind....so I paid over $400.00 to have my trailer on a tow truck for just over 20 miles!

Best of luck, and enjoy...as we'll be headed up that way in mid summer ourselves!
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 36' Class A Diesel