cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Trailer legalities, Nova Scotia

RVAJim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, new guy here, needing some guidance. Now this will perhaps seem incredulous or irresponsible, but please bear with me!

About 13-14 years we bought a 1992 Terry 28 foot trailer to use as a summer place, parked on the property of my in-laws' cottage in River John, Pictou County. (We live in the States.)

We now need to sell it and bottom line is I don't believe we have any papers. My recollection is that we did need to get some sort of temporary plate to transport it from our seller's home to our property. We did that, took the wheels off, used it most summers since then except for the last three, and forgot about anything legal or DMV related. That's the irresponsible part, I know.

Now I honestly don't remember as noted. My wife thinks we may have left some related paperwork there in NS. I don't recall that but hey, she may be right. We won't be going until at least June.

But if not, and we really don't have anything, where would I start to be able to legally sell it? We bought it from a retired RCMP officer so no doubt all was done up to snuff at that time. I just don't remember a title, registration, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Jim
5 REPLIES 5

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
RVAJim wrote:
Hi all, new guy here, needing some guidance. Now this will perhaps seem incredulous or irresponsible, but please bear with me!

About 13-14 years we bought a 1992 Terry 28 foot trailer to use as a summer place, parked on the property of my in-laws' cottage in River John, Pictou County. (We live in the States.)

We now need to sell it and bottom line is I don't believe we have any papers. My recollection is that we did need to get some sort of temporary plate to transport it from our seller's home to our property. We did that, took the wheels off, used it most summers since then except for the last three, and forgot about anything legal or DMV related. That's the irresponsible part, I know.

Now I honestly don't remember as noted. My wife thinks we may have left some related paperwork there in NS. I don't recall that but hey, she may be right. We won't be going until at least June.

But if not, and we really don't have anything, where would I start to be able to legally sell it? We bought it from a retired RCMP officer so no doubt all was done up to snuff at that time. I just don't remember a title, registration, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Jim

if you got a temporary plate you had to register weather it was in the US or in Canada. if you got it in the US, you would have had to get the paperwork and such for the import, and if you got it in Canada, it would have had to be registered to your name. Either way you would have had to use the vin number of the trailer. so, you have to figure out whether you did Canadian or US insurance on it and call that registration office with the vin number and ask them for a proof of registration.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you have it licensed in the US or Canada? If you live in the US, I would think it would have been licensed here. Contact your home state and see if they have title information .
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

RVAJim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Yes, low value but some. It can still be used as a summer place, still ion good shape. As for the property, it's ours, just that my wife's folks are now gone and we'll not need the trailer anymore.

Insurance? Well, again, we never had it insured. No idea why we never thought of that. I know it's strange.

The Access NS website, yes, I've been on there, just wasn't obvious what to do but I'll contact them.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
If you have any insurance documents on the trailer, that would be a start. Contact the previous owner if you can, they may be able to help.

Try this for info from the horses mouth. Hopefully they can help you:
Access Nova Scotia
15 Alderbrook Drive
Truro, Nova Scotia
Ph 1-800-670-4357
https://novascotia.ca/access-locations/

Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Evening hours: Thursday 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm (Registry of Motor Vehicles services only)
Services: Driver Examination & Testing • Marriage Licence • Registry of Joint Stock Companies • Registry of Motor Vehicles • Residential Tenancies
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perhaps you can apply for a lost title? Suspect almost no value? 31 years old. Perhaps better to pay to have it hauled to a wrecking yard? Any option to just leave it there for who ever owns the property?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob