cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help getting out of NYC

kyteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying at Liberty Harbor RV park for our stay in NYC. We are headed towards Boston from there. I am going to be driving my expedition towing my 26' TT. I am planning on driving I-95 through Conn and RI up towards Foxboro. We have a couple stops planned through here.

My question is, from Liberty Harbor, avoiding the GW Bridge, how would you get back over to I-95?

I was looking at routes over the Tappen Zee Bridge, via I-80/Garden St Parkway. I have never been to this area so experience here would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
cross21114 wrote:
Here's a comparison of 2 possible routes.

That is wrong.... You do NOT go all the way to Albany...

You added about 3-1/2 hours with that map

Though I wouldn't go either route. In this area alone, the GW bridge, I95 and everything west of New Haven CT you can possibly spend 3 hrs+ stuck in gridlock traffic pending on timing or a common bad luck accident.

"My Opinion"

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
kyteacher wrote:
We are staying at Liberty Harbor RV park for our stay in NYC. We are headed towards Boston from there. I am going to be driving my expedition towing my 26' TT. I am planning on driving I-95 through Conn and RI up towards Foxboro. We have a couple stops planned through here.

My question is, from Liberty Harbor, avoiding the GW Bridge, how would you get back over to I-95?

I was looking at routes over the Tappen Zee Bridge, via I-80/Garden St Parkway. I have never been to this area so experience here would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

as mentioned

I287 north/east (tapenzee bridge) to I684 east to I84 east to boston

or more north and less traffic would be the Newburghโ€“Beacon bridge (I287 north/east to I87 north to I84 east)

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Back around 1980 there was a movie "Escape from New York". Sounds like it's a hard place to get out of. Wonder if the OP ever managed to escape.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
If NYโ€™ers would start referring to it as โ€œThe Putz Bridgeโ€, I bet theyโ€™d change it back.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

Class C motorhomes are not legally permitted on virtually all New York (and Connecticut) parkways; passenger cars only means, well, passenger cars only, and a motorhome ("house car" on my registration) is not a passenger car. The only exception to this that I know of in New York state is the Lake Ontario State Parkway, which does permit non-commercial RVs and trailers that are not too tall. In many cases, a class C motorhome simply won't fit underneath the overpasses on parkways.

It's not just the overpasses (although having lived and worked in the Hudson Valley for decades, I've seen my share of tall vehicles stuck at them and having to be backed out and down entrance ramps). There are basically no shoulders, often rock faces, and no medians (just a very short guardrail) on most. The roads were designed as scenic drives for cars and are not at all suitable for an RV.

I can recall a time where even light pickup trucks weren't permitted on any of them. That did change over the years, but I believe there is still the restriction that if you have commercial plates, you can't drive a pickup on them.
2017 LTV Unity

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Lumpty wrote:
...the Tappan Zee, which officially these days is the Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge.

Really! So my wife was right! (don't tell her). We just went over that last Sunday, and my wife was surprised to see a sign about the name change.

Meh.... I've always thought "Tappanzee" is such a cool name.

There is a significant public effort to get it changed back, or at least have Tappan Zee added back to the name.
2017 LTV Unity

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Lumpty wrote:
...the Tappan Zee, which officially these days is the Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge.

Really! So my wife was right! (don't tell her). We just went over that last Sunday, and my wife was surprised to see a sign about the name change.

Meh.... I've always thought "Tappanzee" is such a cool name.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mkc wrote:
Tvov wrote:

You may already know this, but careful with "parkways" in New England! Garden State Parkway is okay to tow on, but most are not open to trailers. Some people tow campers on them, but... that is your call.

Actually, in NYS it's not "your call". NY Parkways are passenger car only, no trucks or trailers permitted AT ALL. There are no shoulders, no medians, and underclearances of less than 10 ft in many areas.

The reason RVs end up on them is unfamiliarity with the area and/or blindly following a GPS.

I should have been more clear. I didn't mean to randomly do what you want. I am saying "your call" meaning some people will tow campers / small trailers on the parkways to save time, running the risk of a ticket.

Also depends on the parkway and what state you are in.

And - a lot of GPS and mapping apps don't distinguish between parkways and general use roads.

So, anyway, make sure you do your research on routes!

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Another option not mentioned is to take the NYS Thruway up to the Mass Pike Extension south of Albany. Yes, there are tolls on both of them, but it avoids pretty much any chance of traffic. And the recommendation to take 78 west all the away to 287 to go north? I'm a north Jersey local. From Liberty Harbor get back on the Newark Bay NJ Turnpike Extension where it hits Grand Street, to either NJ turnpike spur northbound to I-80 west to the Garden State Parkway to its northern terminus, at which point either head north my recommended way, or "south" to cross the Tappan Zee, which officially these days is the Governor Mario Cuomo Bridge.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

look here - 4-1/2 Hours - 240 miles

google maps- Liberty Harbor to Boston
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cross21114 wrote:

That is wrong.... You do NOT go all the way to Albany...

You added about 3-1/2 hours with that map
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
mkc wrote:
Tvov wrote:

You may already know this, but careful with "parkways" in New England! Garden State Parkway is okay to tow on, but most are not open to trailers. Some people tow campers on them, but... that is your call.

Actually, in NYS it's not "your call". NY Parkways are passenger car only, no trucks or trailers permitted AT ALL. There are no shoulders, no medians, and underclearances of less than 10 ft in many areas.

The reason RVs end up on them is unfamiliarity with the area and/or blindly following a GPS.

I think this is a pretty tricky one. It depends a lot on what RV you are driving. A class C can be on there no problem. Travel trailer? No way. Fifth wheel? No way. Truck camper? No problem. Just height restrictions to worry about.

Class C motorhomes are not legally permitted on virtually all New York (and Connecticut) parkways; passenger cars only means, well, passenger cars only, and a motorhome ("house car" on my registration) is not a passenger car. The only exception to this that I know of in New York state is the Lake Ontario State Parkway, which does permit non-commercial RVs and trailers that are not too tall. In many cases, a class C motorhome simply won't fit underneath the overpasses on parkways.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
mkc wrote:
Tvov wrote:

I think this is a pretty tricky one. It depends a lot on what RV you are driving. A class C can be on there no problem. Travel trailer? No way. Fifth wheel? No way. Truck camper? No problem. Just height restrictions to worry about.