cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Harrisonburg Va to Elkins WV

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to move from Luray VA to Elkins WV in a couple of days in a 36' RV with a toad. How is route 33?
Thought someone may know if this is OK or have an alternative route in mind?
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL
7 REPLIES 7

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I have decided to take Hwy. 33 tomorrow. I have driven mountains all over the Rockies from Colorado to Canada so it should not be a huge deal. Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it.
2018 Tiffin 34PA

David & Ellen
Foley AL

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been over that 33 route many times in cars, PU trucks, towing a 43ft goose neck, and in my 40ft DP. It is crooked as a snake and nothing but hills but its still your best way to go. Just be careful on the down hill side as brakes will get hot. Good luck.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do take Route 33, Seneca Rocks Discovery center does have RV Parking. You could take a break there before the next set of twisting roadway.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
18 wheelers regularly travel route 33 to Elkins. From Harrisonburg to Elkins is only about 100 miles but it takes 3 hours in a big rig.
Route 250 would be further and no better; probably even worse as far as number of mountains crossed.
Route 48 isn't technically an interstate but it might as well be. It's 4 lanes with a median and the speed limit is 60 or 65 I think. If you really don't like twisty roads that's your best route but it will be about 50 miles further.

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
33 from Rawley Springs to Franklin is a motorcycle delight. You will get your workout.

I have had my fill of workouts through Virginia this trip. Do you think Hwy. 250 or Hwy. 48 would be better? I do fine in the mountains just prefer not doing it every few days.
2018 Tiffin 34PA

David & Ellen
Foley AL

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
33 from Rawley Springs to Franklin is a motorcycle delight. You will get your workout.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I go to Google maps and then go to "street view" and actually look at the roadways. I don't know much about that area other than it has mountains. You are in Luray, so you probably know all about driving on mountain roads.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW