cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good RV campsites near I-77 & I-81 (Vir)

nomad2013
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to travel from Columbia, SC via I-77 & I-81 to Carlisle, PA.
However, wondering if there is a less traveled route on a federal/state highway to miss car/truck congestion and large population centers. Not interested in the Blue Ridge Parkway. Also would like to miss mountains.
Thank you in advance.

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
9 REPLIES 9

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed overnight twice at Claytor Lake State Park. Nice for an overniter. Not far off I-81 and there is a gas station with easy in and out for RV's right off the exit.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Fort Chiswell.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
Fort Chiswell is also our stopping point. No need to unhook. In and out real quick plus there is room to walk your dog.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
You have Ft Chiswell at I-77 and I-81....exit 80 ...all pull thrus..Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
byrdr1 wrote:
KOA, Fancy Gap, VA.
quick on and off I-77 as soon as you drive up the mountain. 25 miles of so from the I-77/I-81 connection.

x2 on fancy gap
and we have stayed at koa natural bridge va off I-81 couple of times. both are good.

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
Clayton Lake State Park, Exit 101 off I-81, 20 miles north of 77/81 intersect, quick on/off, about 5-6 miles south.
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
KOA, Fancy Gap, VA.
quick on and off I-77 as soon as you drive up the mountain. 25 miles of so from the I-77/I-81 connection.

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have stayed at Shenandoah Acres Family Campground, Stuarts Draft, VA, on the way up 81. We enjoyed it. We also enjoyed Fries New River Trail RV Park, in Fries, VA - but it's about 45 minutes of of 77.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015