cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Oyster Digging & Clamming Spots on Vancouver Island

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
High ferry cost has been keeping me from visiting Vancouver Island for years. With the border closing, we are going to camp on the island this summer. Oyster digging & clamming are our favorite pastimes. Would the good folks here don't mind sharing some of the good clamming beaches on the east side of the island?
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller
5 REPLIES 5

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
A bar in New Orleans has that advice about not eating oysters in a month w/o an R. Then they list the months including Argust, etc.

The taste isn't quite as good in all those summer months but they eat just fine from our beach on Hood Canal, WA. Call your biotoxin hotline first, though.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t pick Shellfish during a Month without an R in it!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to check on shellfish closures caused by "Red Tide" as this can be very toxic.

C-172-AV8R
Explorer
Explorer
As you go by Qualicum Beach on the old highway there is a road on the right called Kincade before you get to Riverside Rv park. Turn right go to the end of street and park. Donโ€™t take the bend to the left. Walk over the berm and angle to the left toward the water. Good clamming, oysters and suntanning,
Donโ€™t forget you need a fishing licence and there is a daily allowance per licence. Study the saltwater fishing guide and have fun. Riverside Rv park looks like a fun place if you have kids. Water slide pool and games. Be careful donโ€™t catch the virus even though there is no limit....Mike

P.S. this place is a secret so donโ€™t let anyone else know.
:B
Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I used to go to gabriola island when I lived there as most places around victoria are to rocky, but as you head up towards nanimo/ladysmith there are lots of tidal beaches I would imagin would be good.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100