cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gettysburg PA routes in and out from the South

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took my Dad to Gettysburg for a long weekend. We took his car and used GPS coming in through NC/VA/WVA/MD and into PA. The GPS brought us in on some beautiful roads but, far from ideal for towing a travel trailer. My wife wants to go up and tow the RV up. What's a good way to get into Gettysburg coming in from say, highway 81?

Also, what's your recommendation on campgrounds that are sweet little pug dog friendly..?

The way we came in took us through a covered bridge. That was cool.
8 REPLIES 8

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks.. I'm not sure that I can tell you which way the GPS brought us in and out related to the covered bridge. We left Gettysburg on Baltimore Pike and wound through the woods to Hagerstown and onto I-81. The covered bridge it's self was not that far out of Gettysburg.

I looked it up.. The bridge was Jacks Mountain covered bridge. 116 out of Gettysburg onto 16..not for the faint of heart when RV-ing. We were following a guy pulling a travel trailer. He was clearly not having a very happy day.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure you top off the fuel tank before entering the state with the highest gas taxes in the nation.

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Great info, are planning a return visit in the fall. I don't recall the route, but all of these sound easier. Also, thanks for the park suggestion.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed at Artillery Ridge CG several times with our Class A (and toad). Closest CG to the Visitors Center and battlefield. Not fancy, but pull thru sites are more than adequate. Enjoy your visit.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that gbopp's route is the easiest. Almost as easy would be to exit I81 at Exit 5 in Greencastle, PA and follow Rt 16 thru Waynesboro, Blue Ridge Summit to Emmitsburg, MD and then US15 to Gettysburg. US15 is convenient to Round Top. Artillery Ridge, and Drummer Boy Campgrounds without driving thru downtown Gettysburg. Coming in on US30 would be more convenient to the Gettysburg and KOA Campgrounds. I'd avoid US15 south of Frederick, MD because it is a busy commuter road at rush hours.
No covered bridges on these routes but there are a couple off US15 near Thurmont, MD. I'm curious about where you crossed one between I81 and Gettysburg. Have a good trip.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I81 to 51 Inwood,WV to 9/340 North to 15 North to Gettysburg
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess coming into the area on Interstate 81 isn't mandatory. It's just the way I know, coming from central N. Carolina. Comng up 95 is an option that I really would prefer to avoid as it takes me through Richmond and Washington DC traffic. My easiest path is up 29 to 81 and head East towards Gettysburg. Somewhere in Maryland the GPS guides me off of the interstate and into secondary roads. By the time it gets into PA it's basically pavement poured on ungraded land and hills, steep and twisty. Great for cars and motorcycles.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
What's a good way to get into Gettysburg coming in from say, highway 81?

Highway 81. I assume you are talking about Interstate 81?
The easiest way to Gettysburg from I81 is get off 81 at Exit 16, Chambersburg PA and take US 30 east to Gettysburg. It's about 25 miles. The road is good, there is one mountain but no twists or turns.

Another option is to get on US 15 in Maryland and take 15 north to Gettysburg. But, it's not as convenient as staying on I 81.