cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fuel stops

rckmtn
Explorer
Explorer
Heading from Florida to Wyoming, does anyone know of a comprehensive guide to RV friendly fuel stations? I have the flying J app but would like to have something else for back up. I will be towing during this trip and would prefer RV fuel lanes or stations with pull thrus and enough turning radius for a 35' gas rig with TOAD.
13 REPLIES 13

rckmtn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. The combination of a couple of phone apps plus the next exit is what I have decided on. Some very good info out there and me being anal when I have someplace I have to be at on time I plan for fuel stops and have them pre-programmed in my GPS.

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
"Next Exit" X4. Camp on!

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
found this online: http://trucker.com/truck/stops
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
IEXIT is the electronic version of Next Exit. Works great and you do not have to page thru a book trying to find your location. Open the app and the exits are displayed starting with the one closest to your location. List all the same info as the book. Only good for interstates as is Next a Exit book.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
We have also used The Next Exit with pretty good results. Some of the ones marked (in red) as RV-friendly have still ended up a bit of a challenge for a bigger rig. (Our old TT was 34' long.)
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
I have used www.findfuelstops.com as a helpful guide.

Good luck;)
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Next Exit guide, not only are the rv friendly stations listed but restaurants, wal marts & other shopping are also listed for every exit off major highways. We always travel with it. Apps are good but the paper guide is easy to follow & read.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Fly j and pilot are genrally pretty safe to get into, TA's well I got off the highway to try and get fuel, passed it up as its gas pumps were set up for autos and I could not get in with a towd.

We never really worry about this situation as we fuel at around 1/2 tank and tht gives you options to look at where you are stopping. Even with my truck and TT we just look at what is available and either accept or move on. I personally think too much is made of trying to find rv friendly gas stations, but that is me. Safeway and costcos generally have big stations to drive thru. Stay away from the mini-marts and small gas stations unless they have lanes on the outside perpendicular to the roadway and or a lane to turn thru to get around back or a wide driveway to turn into after fueling. A bigger concern is the entry/exit ramps to get into some of these places, mine will drag its tail if not careful!

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
"MyDAT Trucker" is the app that I sometimes use on Android. I also use Google maps satellite view the night before to scope out possible gas stops. I can zoom in and see the layout of the gas station.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
We recently used an iphone app that was very good ... it might have cost $1.99 but was well worth it. I would show how many truck parking spots at each place and that gives you a good idea of the size of these truck stops.

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a copy of the "The RVer's Friend - North American Diesel/Parking Directory". Lot of info for RVers - "Annual directory of 6,100 US & Canadian "big rig" fueling (gas, diesel and propane) locations and the services they provide. Lists which truck stops allow RVs to park overnight and which ones have dump stations, repair shops, restaurants, scales, truck washes, etc. Also includes state and national parks and rest areas with dumps. Truck stops are listed by interstate, in exit order, and also alphabetically by city and state.'
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
For me I have never planed fuel stops in the last 14 years of towing. When fuel gage is low I stop and get it. Have never had a problem finding or getting in or out with our rigs. This includes small towns, big cities, interstate exits( I just watch for service signs) and have never gotta bad fuel. At night if we are unhooked I will go top off for next days travels. Currently 5300 miles into a7-8 week trip with 1800-2000 to go. Happy trails.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
No guide will be 100% correct but I prefer The Next Exit, available at most RV dealers and truck stops. Businesses listed in red at each stop are supposed to be RV friendly.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch