cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four Questions

Eve_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
1. Two of the toll booths between Nogales and Hermosillo were taken over by protesters some time ago and thus are not collecting tolls. Is this also the situation going south as far as Tepic area?
2. I see on the map there is a by-pass around Navajoa but it looks out of the way and rather zig-saggy. Are we legally allowed to drive straight through the city with our motorhomes?
3. Two of us plan to go to LoDeMarcos in about 3 weeks. How full are the RV parks? One of us has a 36 foot class A. Can the parks there accommodate that size?

4. Now, the more difficult question. It seems to me that I heard the rule was changed that if we tow a car, then the RV permit is only issued for 6 months? We already have had a 10 year permit on the RV for the past 2 years but now would like to tow a car south which also has license plates from a different state than the RV. We are temporary residents on top of it all (live in San Carlos). We know we will need to get a permit on the car in Empalme. Does anyone see any problems with this situation?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
Cruz maria is full. Most parks here have sites available but changes daily. Getting very popular here
And three toll booths on our way south the locals threw up barricades and would not let you pass unless you paid their asking price which was posted on a cardboard sign.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

MnMex90
Explorer
Explorer
There are several parks in Lo that can accommodate Class A’s over 36 feet. Our favorite park is Cruz Maria and also like La Parota. Tlaquepaque is very big also and has large sites. Don’t know about availability as we have not been there this year. Dave at Cruz Maria has always been good about responding. Beach is great there.

Eve_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
We actually live in San Carlos and have the RV here with the permit. Big thanks for all the info and especially on Empalme possibly being closed. We will try and verify that before we leave and if it's closed will go south without a tow car. 😞

Talleyho69
1. The toll booth take overs can change daily. They don't stop vehicles, just ask for donations.

2. There is one actual bypass for Navajoa, on the west side of the city. It is very easy, just watch your speed.
There is a Truck Route that runs parallel to the main through town road that is one block to the east of the main road. You pick it up right after you cross the bridge. You are required to take either the truck route or the bypass. Both are easy, actually easier than dealing with the lights on the main road.

3. Don't know, haven't heard anything lately.

4. The ins and out of getting vehicle permits with your temporary residency is up for discussion. You will get your paperwork at Nogales. If you already have your 10 year permit you need to do nothing with that. The car, you can get your permit on line ahead of time and save the stop, or you can do it in Nogales. It doesn't matter what state the car is licensed in as long as you have all the paperwork you need. You don't need to even mention the RV as long as you have the 10 year permit on it.

I think they shut down the facility at Empalme. Make some phone calls, and be sure. Otherwise you'll likely have to drive up to Nogales.

Good Luck, safe travels, keep us posted as to how it goes, and have a great time! Moderator

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, concerning the toll booths. I just drove south on 15D to Lakeside the last 2 days. There were 7 casetas taken over by "others". I paid 50 pesos at each of them and down the road I went.

The Federalas didn't seem to concerned with any of this.

I went directly thru Navojoa, early in the morning, with my dually and cargo trailer.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The toll booths were all back to collecting as of Tuesday. You will get a 10 year permit for the MH whether it is solo or towing a car. You can only get a 6 month on the car whether it is a toad or solo. Get all your permits at Nogales( actually between Nogales and km21). Why stand in a line twice. You will have to leave a deposit on the car. I dont think you pay a deposit on the RV. I never have! If they give you a hard time just disconnect the car. Should not be necessary. You can get all of those permits on line. I always get them at the inspection area.
Moisheh