cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding propane

llberge
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at Church's campground book and there isn't a symbol for places that sell propane. With all the furnace and generator use, I will be going through it faster than water. Is propane readily available along the road in Canada and Alaska? Or is it like diesel, start looking when you hit half a tank. How is the pricing in Canada vs Alaska. Thanks.
2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400R
9 REPLIES 9

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Propane in Fairbanks is sky high!! Try to work around that.

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
Our September trip to New Brunswick. We found bulk propane stations few. Bottle propane exchange readily available.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel & Propane are for sure in all of the larger communities, St. John, Ft. Nelson, Watson lake, Whitehorse, Haines Jct. and Tok these are our typical fuel stops. I try to stay within 300 mile range between stops these work well for us.
If traveling after May 15 the temps. will be mild you shouldn't use much heat even at night.
I rarely use the generator when traveling, the batteries are topped off while driving.
You'll be fine fuel is not that difficult to find.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

cpurves
Explorer
Explorer
llberge wrote:
Thanks for the info, guys, that's one less thing to worry about for next year's trip. Chris, that Costco price is cheaper than here in Connecticut.

They put in a new system this year and only charge for what they put in. We were paying around $20.00 for a full 30lb but that went down with the new system.
They also put in diesel pumps and prices in town dropped about 15 cents a litre so about 67 cents cdn a gallon.
Old dog learning new tricks.

GMC 3500 crewcab longbox 4x4 duramax
Cougar 310SRX - we use the toyhauler for our photo equip
www.photos-now.ca

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two summers ago when we went to Alaska there was no problem finding or getting propane. But I will warn you that many pump stations in Canada will not honor a propane tank that has been re-inspected and re-dated in the lower 48.

llberge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info, guys, that's one less thing to worry about for next year's trip. Chris, that Costco price is cheaper than here in Connecticut.
2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400R

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Propane and diesel is everywhere up here like others have said, so I don't think you will have any issues at all
However I don't think I would be looking to fill a propane tank when it gets to 1/2 empty, or when it's only 1/2 full ( grin)
But up and over here in the mountains looking for fuel when you get to a 1/2 tank when hauling a load like a RV is a good idea. Mountain passes will eat up fuel faster then a lot of people can believe, until it's too late.
When you get farther north fuel stops are plenty however they maybe closed, out of fuel or another issue could hamper your fuel plans.
Where we camp in south eastern BC there is a small town that is located in the mountains and I can't count the amount of times that there has been a power failures caused by trees causing downs power lines, vehical acedents causing power poles to break, and Forrest fires cause power failures.
By no means am I saying that that's going to happen on your trip, most likely not, however filling the top 1/2 of the tank also gives you a chance to stretch, check wheel bearing temps etc.
Have a blast on your trip
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

cpurves
Explorer
Explorer
llberge wrote:
Is propane readily available along the road in Canada and Alaska? Or is it like diesel, start looking when you hit half a tank. How is the pricing in Canada vs Alaska. Thanks.

Should be no problem. Most gas stations also have propane fill stations. AND most gas stations also have Diesel so both of them are easy to find. Even on the Alaska highway.

Pricing varys a lot. Costco in Prince George right now is about $14.00 CDN for a 30lb bottle. But some gas stations charge for a full bottle instead of what they actually put in. Saw a sign the other day that a 20lb fill was $25.00. So be careful where you fill.

Cheers
Chris
Old dog learning new tricks.

GMC 3500 crewcab longbox 4x4 duramax
Cougar 310SRX - we use the toyhauler for our photo equip
www.photos-now.ca

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Available many places. Pricing is what it is.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er