cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EZ Pass with and without trailer

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting the EZ Pass device for east coast toll roads, do you need a separate unit for when you're towing vs not towing?
27 REPLIES 27

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
Getting the EZ Pass device for east coast toll roads, do you need a separate unit for when you're towing vs not towing?

As you can see from the responses, different states have different rules. My suggestion is to guess which state you will be getting the most tolls in, go to that states ez-pass website and see what you need.
If you plan on crossing Pennsylvania on I-76 that will be your highest tolls.
There website is HERE. And this is what it says about pulling a camper in the FAQ.
I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle.
Can I still use my transponder? Yes. On the Pennsylvania Turnpike, if the weight of the camper or trailer pushes you into a higher class of vehicle, the higher toll will be charged to your account. If you are traveling on other E-ZPass agency toll roads or bridges, please contact the appropriate agency for further information. Refer to the list participating agencies on FAQ # 2.

So it looks like you should check with every state and meet the minimum requirements of the one that requires the most.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
In nj, they said only the one tag. It counts the axels. I have used it in ny and pa with no problems with 2 different axel campers.

That is what I have, never have had an issue with it. With people saying a "discount" with a separate tag, maybe I'll look into that.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
You can use just the EZ pass however you will receive a lower rate if you also get the trailer Ez Pass. It doesn't cost anymore. We have them both. We didn't know about it and was royally over charged bringing home our fifth wheel and learned about it on another rv thread.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I must have a fluke of a transponder cuz I just have a white one and gets used in 2 diff vehicles and when used w/ the truck, reads right towing/not towing.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest reason to get a different transponder in NY is that there is a discount for a motorhome, fifth wheel or boat. It is less expensive than a conventional trailer with the same number of axles.

Special Towing Discount
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
In nj, they said only the one tag. It counts the axels. I have used it in ny and pa with no problems with 2 different axel campers.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

cgjt
Explorer
Explorer
In NY I need two responders, a white one for the truck only. When towing my two axle trailer I need to switch the responder to the blue unit. The unit not being used is put into a protective sleeve in the glove box so the reader does not pick up the unit not being used and being charged for both.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking seriously of getting a
Uni-Pass to replace my EZ Pass. It is accepted in all states EZ Pass is, plus Georgia and Florida.
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I can agree/disagree with all the comments.

EZ Pass website says you must have a different "tag" when towing a trailer.

EZ Pass Tag Order Form

After saying that, last fall I went to Rhode Island to pick up a couple tractors, towing a triple axle trailer. EZ Pass worked correctly in NY and Massachusetts using the transponder I always use with my truck alone.

Recently, I read somewhere (and of course I can't find it now) to tow a trailer you need to enter the number of axles and plate number of the trailer you are towing on the tow vehicle in your account.

^^^^. same here in PA.... Thats why I got the one for a trailer to use and not a regular one.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m in MA and was told the same thing WNYBob is saying. I have 2 EZ passes and need to switch between them for truck alone and truck and trailer.
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I was told here in New York State by the Thruway Authority that I needed 3 EZ-pass tags. One for my truck, one for towing a single axle trailer and one for my truck and my 2 axel camper.
Several years ago was charged the highest toll rate for my truck with a truck camper, over $50 to travel from Buffalo to Albany!
There was no cost for the additional tags. I just have to remember to change them to match what I am driving.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nope! We have used EZ Pass with and without the trailer since 2004 and so far it has accurately charged us. The readers count axles after the pass and according to EZ Pass there is no need to register the trailer with them. We have had three different trailers and they got it right every time so far. Even the toll road outside of Charlotte NC got it right when we went through with the trailer one day and without it the next.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member