cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel on Cassier Highway

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I will need diesel at least once on the Cassier before hitting the Alcan. GasBuddy's not showing much but don't know how good GB is in Canada.

Are there stations along the highwy which carry diesel?

Thanks,

Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition
23 REPLIES 23

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
We had no problem getting diesel along the Cassier Hwy (37), there are several stations on this route.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Gasbuddy is only as good having people report prices. As for Dease Lake and other remote areas the price is most likely blank for lack of cell coverage. Having said that take note of the price and post when in cell coverage.
I find Gasbuddy quite helpful even when visiting Australia.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
I donโ€™t have a problem with my Tax dollars helping other Canadians.
That's refreshingly rational! Too many tax phobics here in US.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
As much traffic as travels those roads the relative lack of cell service outside of towns is disgraceful. Cell technology is relatively cheap now and easy to install. Much of those routes could have been covered long ago.

Safety, traffic, users and businesses would all benefit from the expanded service.

However in 4 round trips to Alaska I have never needed service nor felt particularly endangered by the lack of service between towns.

Remember for the vast majority of the roads life there was no cell service. It wasnt invented yet. And people got along just fine.

But now the time has passed and Canada should really urge the providers to get service along the road.

Population and costs, with out population who Is going to pay for this service?
Canada is the second largest country by area in the world, and we have about 1/10 the population of the USA. As well 99% of Canadaโ€™s population lives with in 100 miles of Canadaโ€™s southern boarder with the USA.
Our Federal and Provincial Govt (in some instances) are all ready subsidizing phone and internet services to smaller communities, even TV service, they do this all over Canada and where do you think that money comes from, its Taxes, and I donโ€™t have a problem with my Tax dollars helping other Canadians.
Like I said in a earlier post, if you worried about your safety in any way, get a satellite GPS system, or better yet a satellite phone then you can pay for what you want.
Enjoy your time in Canada.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
As much traffic as travels those roads the relative lack of cell service outside of towns is disgraceful. Cell technology is relatively cheap now and easy to install. Much of those routes could have been covered long ago.

It's only relatively easy and cheap to install where there is some infrastructure available already. Where you don't have power lines (and have long dark nights for half the year), it gets a good bit more expensive to install and maintain. Likewise it gets more costly when you need to string fiber or set up microwave links to connect to the rest of the phone network. When comparatively few people will be using the infrastructure, it's hard to make any business case that spending many dollars to carry a handful of conversations or text messages a day is at all worthwhile.

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
As much traffic as travels those roads the relative lack of cell service outside of towns is disgraceful.

Most of those of us who live in those areas and drive those roads year-round, don't feel that need. Once tourists leave, even the Alaska Highway sees very little traffic.

You are very brave to be speaking for so many beyond yourself.

It is precisely during the winter that the need for service along those roads is most important.

And I am curious just what possible objection could you have to expanding that service? Given it's overwhelming positive impacts?

And just for full disclosure I have driven the road twice in winter conditions. Once in Late November in 1973 and once in March 2 years ago.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesel trucks are everywhere in Canada. Diesel availability is one of the least of your concerns.

The further north you go the less the cell coverage. Again no big deal. Within easy living memory there was NO cell service ANYWHERE. People managed to live just fine.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
As much traffic as travels those roads the relative lack of cell service outside of towns is disgraceful.

Most of those of us who live in those areas and drive those roads year-round, don't feel that need. Once tourists leave, even the Alaska Highway sees very little traffic.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer

Safety, traffic, users and businesses would all benefit from the expanded service.

However in 4 round trips to Alaska I have never needed service nor felt particularly endangered by the lack of service between towns.

Remember for the vast majority of the roads life there was no cell service. It wasnt invented yet. And people got along just fine.

But now the time has passed and Canada should really urge the providers to get service along the road.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:

If you are worried about emergency issues spend some time and read up on the SPOT GPS locator.

Have a look at the Garmin InReach - SPOT is a toy compared to InReach. The keyboard on the newest model SPOT is great, and I expect that InReach will soon have a new model with that.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:
Frankly, don't really care if I have any coverage (unless something happens). Looks like we have coverage at $5/day unlimited on days we use it. No charge if we don't.

cross21114 wrote:
Frankly, don't really care if I have any coverage (unless something happens). Looks like we have coverage at $5/day unlimited on days we use it. No charge if we don't.

What Iโ€™m saying is Cell Service is very spotting in the south eastern part of B.C. let alone in northern BC. Never count of cell service for an emergency when not I. A town or city, period.
I live in a city ( on the out skirts) and we have 1 bar, go 1 mile down toe road.... nothing.
If you are worried about emergency issues spend some time and read up on the SPOT GPS locator. I have one for snowmobiling and ATVing as well as back country trips. You can set it up to text family members that your OK, but need assistance, or you can hit SOS, which sends the police etc. SPOT also has a new device that you can text just like a cell phone, but remember, itโ€™s off satellite and costs money....
However it is a very good way of staying incontact with loved ones and the world if you want.
My son in-law hit the SOS button a few years back at an avalanche where close to 100 people were hit. My daughter just gave it to him the week before. He sent the SOS as the avalanche was coming down as he was just riding up, he is in the video about 3 times probing and helping people.
This is what the SPOT can help with
Revelstoke Avalanche

Here is the link for SPOT.
The new SPOT.
I havenโ€™t read up on this model, and itโ€™s the Cadillac model, what above what I have.
Have a fun trip, itโ€™s not as bad as you may think, people will stop to help you if they see you having issues...
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
or maybe more commonly put in a LOWER price for their own station and once you arrive find that it is much higher. I have run across this a lot in Canada.

We just finished our trip 4 weeks ago. Dallas to Niagara to Dawson City, up to Tuktoyotuk, all around Alaska and back down ti Albuquerque. Found just one station with price for diesel way higher than the app, but the gas prices were all correct so could have been a typo. One other cheap price turned out to be too high in biodiesel. Neither was a big deal simply because thete is aleays another station just doen the road.
As for lots of stations not having a orice showing. Conversely, a lot do, but regardkess, knowing prices for 70% of stations along a route, plus knowing exactly where they are and getting navigated to the door surely has to be a hell of a lot better than not having any information at all.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I think Soup meant this as far as no coverage up in northern BC/Yukon.

Cell Towers Map
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition