cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you dump your refrigerator and pantry before crossing?

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW and I are considering taking a short 1-2 week trip to the Montreal – Quebec area in Aug/Sept this year with our new TT.  To prepare for the trip I did a some research via the web on the border crossing restrictions for crossing into Canada and for crossing back into the US.  I was really shocked to find that both countries impose very strict regulations on importing food.  Each country has their own regulations that prohibit importing eggs, meat, fruit, and milk in many forms (even my Fruit Loops are in danger – LOL).

We've vacationed in Canada before, traveling via car but without a supply of food. I would appreciate hearing from experienced member how you handle the food in their refrigerator and pantry when crossing the border (both ways) with your trailer.   Do you dump the contents of your refrigerator and pantry before crossing?  Do you have any exceptional experiences with the border guards about food in any of your crossing?

Thanks!
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40
36 REPLIES 36

Community Alumni
Not applicable
The discussion is now going around in circles and with that I believe this thread has run it's course. The OP has sufficient info to decide what he should do.

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Its just amazing to me..that people ask for thoughts on the matter of food and crossings. They get all kinds of suggestions..(mine is always to go with nothing. That way...at least no hassles about that particular subject.) Then we have those that go with full larders and because they didn't get asked...suggest that everyone should do the same. Then those that have food, get searched, have food removed..and also suggest that a border agent is stealing it so they can eat it...good grief...You want no hassles? leave the food behind. You want maybe hassles..take it with you.

How much clearer can it be?

And yes, you are right...food costs are higher in Canada.

X3 Thank you Gary! You've confirmed that the most hassle-free border crossing from Canada to the US will occur with an empty fridge and pantry. I don't think it's an "overreaction" at all. When you're given a list of acceptable and prohibited products, and then, say, return to the US in a few weeks, the rules and regulations may have changed. Why take the chance?

Gary Haupt
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Its just amazing to me..that people ask for thoughts on the matter of food and crossings. They get all kinds of suggestions..(mine is always to go with nothing. That way...at least no hassles about that particular subject.) Then we have those that go with full larders and because they didn't get asked...suggest that everyone should do the same. Then those that have food, get searched, have food removed..and also suggest that a border agent is stealing it so they can eat it...good grief...You want no hassles? leave the food behind. You want maybe hassles..take it with you.

Gary Haupt

X2, well said Gary

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Then those that have food, get searched, have food removed..and also suggest that a border agent is stealing it so they can eat it...good grief...

Gary Haupt

I, too, have found the accusations that the border patrol are eating this stuff to be totally ridiculous and unkind. How many tomatoes can a border agent eat, anyway? Ludicrous.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
We live close to the border and cross so many times that we just don't get excited about this stuff. We are always asked what we have and give an honest accounting of what we have in the way of perishables. We aren't going to jeopardize our Nexus status by trying to smoke something through that we know we shouldn't have. Most crossings are uneventful but every once and a while you get caught out by a change in regulations, or cross at a point that is very zealous about agricultural checks and you lose something that you weren't aware was prohibited. A garlic bulb was the last one that got us but that was a few years ago.

While some people may want the err on the safe side when it comes to meat and produce, in our opinion crossing with an empty fridge and pantry is an over reaction.

BTW

I don't know about all US crossing s but at Sumas, US customs has a list of current prohibited agricultural items and occasionally we stop and pick up a copy of the latest list.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Gee whiz, it's puzzling to me why several of you think that I'm all worked up over this. Actually, it's the complete opposite. We've crossed into the US hundreds of times, and this was our first "agricultural inspection". Fair enough; the US has the right and obligation to set any laws they deem necessary and modify them as conditions change. I too have the right to adjust my behavior accordingly, and feel that crossing with no food at all is the most prudent choice. Enough said.
Jerry & Susie

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
All we're saying, VE3ESN, is that it's not worth getting all worked up over.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
VE3ESN wrote:
Wilber1 said "Tempest in a teapot. Declare what you have and if the agriculture guys don't like some of what you have, so be it."

How is this a "tempest in a teapot"? Why should we "donate" our food and have to wait in Homeland Security? Better to cross with no food, and replenish later. Seems like a no-brainer. JMHO.

It's only food. Do what you want.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Wilber1 said "Tempest in a teapot. Declare what you have and if the agriculture guys don't like some of what you have, so be it."

How is this a "tempest in a teapot"? Why should we "donate" our food and have to wait in Homeland Security? Better to cross with no food, and replenish later. Seems like a no-brainer. JMHO.
Jerry & Susie

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Things are always subject to change and sometimes you will get caught out. Meat (except for lamb or goat) has been OK to take into the US for several years. We have been dogless for nearly 6 years but when we had one, dog food had to be clearly labeled, Made in USA. Chicken depends avian flue outbreaks. The other day, the grocery store in Sumas WA had all chicken and eggs labeled OK to take into Canada so I guess that has changed as well. Some of these restrictions might also b regional. All boarder crossings are not the same. Osoyoos is pain when it comes to food on both sides of the border. Sumas is much less so.

Tempest in a teapot. Declare what you have and if the agriculture guys don't like some of what you have, so be it.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Until recently, we've never had any issues at either border crossing, but the last entry into the US was complicated with an "agricultural inspection", lasting about an hour while we had to wait in the Homeland Security building. Some of our perishables were confiscated to "examine the products for insects".

Given this experience, the next time we enter the US, we're going to have an empty fridge and empty pantry. We'll visit an "Aldi" shortly after crossing.

IMHO, it just isn't worth the hassle, particularly when the US rules and regulations seem to constantly change.

However, when crossing back into Canada, we will definitely stock up, again at an Aldi. (We don't have any financial interest in Aldi, but sure wish they were here in Canada!)
Jerry & Susie

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Summary to OP:
I agree with what folks are telling you. Eat up your produce and raw meat if you can beforehand. Relax, cross the border, don't sweat it. Answer all the questions correctly. If they take your chicken leg or tomato, so be it. I always listen to the little lecture, say "yes sir" and go on my way. Not a big deal, and there's more for sale just down the road.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Splashers3 wrote:
Veebyes - what about coming back into the states? Was it just as pleasant?

Thanks - Mike

Same as Canadian crossings. It has been a real mixed bag. Problems usually arise when we get a newbie officer who does not know that we don't need a visa & some form to be filled out.

We are on the same status as Canadians. 6 months visa free. Some of them don't like admitting when they are wrong. Understandable. They don't see many from Bermuda at an overland crossing.

I have some funny stories.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995