cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detroit road conditions

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will be travelling from Port Huron to Ohio with my fiver next weekend. I have not gone through Detroit since BC. I normal go I94,I696,I275 and finally I75 Given that I696 westbound is being reconstructed on my route what route is best with my trailer on at this time on a Saturday morning.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
8 REPLIES 8

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
gitane59 wrote:
Thanks for the input. Running the I94 through Detroit to the I275 was easy peasy. But holy cow that last 10 miles of south bound I75 before the Ohio border is horrible.

I think that they keep it that way to try to convince people from visiting Michigan. It is a real jolt when we come home from being south and just after the "Welcome to Michigan" the highway turns to ****.

Been that way for the last three administrations. I have written to each to complain.

Matt_C
Well maybe because there are more overloaded trucks than cars on that piece of roadway?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
gitane59 wrote:
Thanks for the input. Running the I94 through Detroit to the I275 was easy peasy. But holy cow that last 10 miles of south bound I75 before the Ohio border is horrible.

I think that they keep it that way to try to convince people from visiting Michigan. It is a real jolt when we come home from being south and just after the "Welcome to Michigan" the highway turns to ****.

Been that way for the last three administrations. I have written to each to complain.

Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Unintentionally, I ended up running 75 south from Troy to 94 westbound to 96 westbound to 275 northbound a few weeks ago (not knowing the ramp from 75 south to 696 west bound was closed). I did this with a 45' coach and full-size SUV in tow. No problems! In fact, 94 and 96 were much better than I anticipated. Of course, just beware of the essentially hidden ramp to 96 from 94 if you go that way. I've driven that section of road so many times, but it still sneaks up on me (might have something to do with you can only see the sign once you've already made the turn!)

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
Matt_Colie wrote:
Will,
You don't say where you are entering....
As you propose using I696, I am going to guess that you plan to cross the river at the Blue Water Bridge. I think this is a good choice and the Detroit customs is always a pain even with a cleared pass port.
If all you are trying to is pass the squirrely-ness of the I94 to I75 interchange (I understand that) then you can just run I94 to I275 out past Metro Airport. That is less than 10 extra miles. There is some construction at the I94W I275S interchange, but it doesn't look bad tonight. You can check yourself when you want to.
<>
Ignore everything that is not Wayne or Monroe county.
Matt_C

Several years ago when the I94 was under construction in downtown Detroit we got in the habit of using 696 to 275, but I believe the I94 is pretty well redone now so your suggestion to take the I94 all the way to the 275 is a great suggestion. Thanks. and yes I do hate the squirreliness of the I94 and I75 intechange and the I75 through the downtown.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
The link didn't come through.
https://mdotjboss.state.mi.us/MiDrive/cameras>
Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Will,
You don't say where you are entering....
As you propose using I696, I am going to guess that you plan to cross the river at the Blue Water Bridge. I think this is a good choice and the Detroit customs is always a pain even with a cleared pass port.
If all you are trying to is pass the squirrely-ness of the I94 to I75 interchange (I understand that) then you can just run I94 to I275 out past Metro Airport. That is less than 10 extra miles. There is some construction at the I94W I275S interchange, but it doesn't look bad tonight. You can check yourself when you want to.
<>
Ignore everything that is not Wayne or Monroe county.
Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Take I-94 to I-75. There are no issues with going through Detroit. (Why have you went around?)