cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denali Hwy vs Fairbanks?

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of going through Fairbanks, I was contemplating turning south at Delta Junction on A4 then taking the Denali Highway AK-8 over to A3 before heading south to Anchorage. Will still make the 30 mile jaunt from A3/AK-8 junction north to Denali Visitor Center. The thought is we would enjoy the scenery along the Denali Highway more than Fairbanks.

Or do you think there is enough to see in/around Fairbanks to go that direction?
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)
19 REPLIES 19

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little late to the party but yes, the Denali Hwy is well worth the slow and sometimes rough drive. Great turnout spots to overnight, incredible views. I'm back in AK right now and am considering visiting Fairbanks this time but only to shop at Walmart. 😄
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA wrote:

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Just like I remember it.

Lakeside

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
It's been many years since I took the Denali Highway (did it because they were still completing the Parks Highway). But, despite its condition, the views were absolutely worth the slow pace. And seeing the huge Susitna River in a remote location with no houses or stores to mar the view was a reminder of how unpopulated much of Alaska remains.

I spent a week in Fairbanks two years ago, but, with your rig, I wouldn't hesitate to miss it and take the Denali Highway.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely Right!!! The awesome picture in EEWally's profile says it all, well not all as any picture is just one piece of the pie. There are fabulous, unobstructed views in all directions and it was not crowded when I was there. With so many great places to go in Alaska it is hard to pick a favorite but this route has to rank right up there.

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
The photo in my signature shows why I would not miss the Denali Highway.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Most caravans will spend more time there than any other place.

I don't like doing the things that most caravaners like to do so that is a big turn off.

Agreed.

Denali Hwy was well worth the trip. One or two over nights works well for us. So amazingly beautiful. Much more so than the city of Fairbanks.

Each to their own.

Lakeside

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If I could only do one, I’d do the DenAli hwy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
kohldad wrote:
Instead of going through Fairbanks, I was contemplating turning south at Delta Junction on A4 then taking the Denali Highway AK-8 over to A3 before heading south to Anchorage. Will still make the 30 mile jaunt from A3/AK-8 junction north to Denali Visitor Center. The thought is we would enjoy the scenery along the Denali Highway more than Fairbanks.

Or do you think there is enough to see in/around Fairbanks to go that direction?

If you decide on the Old Denali road there's a great bood docking spot near MM49.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Fairbanks does have a lot to offer, beyond the uber-touristy stuff. Two examples are the UAF museum and their LARS (large animal research station); the paid tour/excursion/presentation at LARS I found quite informative, and I doubt there are too many other chances to get up close and personal with musk-oxen. Faribanks is also the starting out point for the Dalton Highway, speaking of gravel roads with exceptional scenery; the area around and through the Brooks range (Atigun pass) is especially spectacular.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the Denali Highway is listed as 135 miles....the last time that I drove it for recreation (not getting from A-B fast, not hunting, etc), I spent two nights on the highway, departing from Paxson late morning, and getting to Cantwell late afternoon.

Thanks. That is about what I was thinking of two nights on the road.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"I'll be in a 4wd truck camper that isn't overloaded so shouldn't have an issue. My plan is to average about 100 miles per day with more days allowed for stopping and taking in the sights."

FWIW, the Denali Highway is listed as 135 miles....the last time that I drove it for recreation (not getting from A-B fast, not hunting, etc), I spent two nights on the highway, departing from Paxson late morning, and getting to Cantwell late afternoon.

It's worth the time....and if the road is exceptionally rough (which I've seen several times), 25 mph (with a load/trailer) is a good, aspirational target.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Most caravans will spend more time there than any other place.

I don't like doing the things that most caravaners like to do so that is a big turn off.

If your rig can handle an (often-rough) gravel road, take the Denali..but there's limited services and it's not a road to rush over.

I'll be in a 4wd truck camper that isn't overloaded so shouldn't have an issue. My plan is to average about 100 miles per day with more days allowed for stopping and taking in the sights.

If you plan on traveling at 60 mph

Then I would be wasting a trip on going to Alaska! Most days are being planned for 4 hrs / day @ 25 mph. 🙂

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
I would be sure to go to Fairbanks, much to do there. Most caravans will spend more time there than any other place. And the trip from Fairbanks down to Denali and Anchorage is nice with lots to do and see.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S