Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dawson City > Chicken > Tok AK

nrbsr
Explorer
Explorer
2018 F150 3.5 Eco towing a Keystone Bullet 230bhs

Wife and I will be leaving in a couple weeks from upstate NY headed to Alaska. My plan on the way up to Fairbanks and Denali was to take Rt 2 from Whitehorse to Dawson City then Rt 5 through Chicken towards Tok.

While researching I've come across some negative comments on road conditions traveling from Dawson City through Chicken, including one (I think on tripadvisor) stating that they would never tow a camper on that route.

I'm not against a little "adventure", but I also don't want to get the wife and I into a situation I might regret.

Seeking comments!
Norb
Upstate NY
Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
35 REPLIES 35

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a really unique experience park in the wide spot of the road adjacent to the cut-off to 40 mile and take your towed out there to see the village that is being restored.
If you are in the area Eagle has a pretty unique 4th of July parade!
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
A lot can depend on the weather, as has been mentioned. If it's been decent (as in not rainy) there's little to really be concerned about in my opinion. It's a gravel road, not a superhighway.

When I went to Alaska a couple years ago, I took my motorhome over it and up to Eagle before going back to Tok. The road to Eagle is certainly rougher (and narrower and with little room for error), but should be doable with care if you aren't scared of heights. Eagle was a very interesting little town, and the public campground is kept in immaculate condition.

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
We've driven TOW several times with our Class A towing our pickup with no scares or near misses!
I would not advise TOW when it is raining as the shoulders can be soft on the downhill side.
Our best trip was one year in October when TOW was frozen. No dust, mud, or soft shoulders to deal with. The fall colors are spectacular a couple days after the first killing frost! We now know the meaning of "purple mountain majesties"!
Plan on leaving Dawson or TOK early in the morning as the border checkpoint doesn't open until around 8:30. Leaving early helps avoid oncoming traffic!
Dawson City is a definite do not miss location. Tons of history and old mine sites to visit.
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

nrbsr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your comments, Alaska has been on my list since I landed in Anchorage 50 years ago on my way overseas courtesy of uncle Sam. The view from the tarmac was enough to convince me that I'd have to get back someday. The wife and I are really looking forward to the trip.

I really would like to do Dawson City. I will have two opportunities, I am thinking I'll add some flexibility and check on the weather when I get to Whitehorse, if it looks wet I'll have another opportunity when I get to Tok on the way back.
Norb
Upstate NY
Grand Design Imagine 2800BH

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
we have been on the TOW highway two times with no problems. however, I have heard that if it is raining or recent rain then stay off. The Canada side is a better road than the US side. On our last trip, 2016, the few miles south of Chicken was terrible. Lots of potholes.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Towed my fw across the same route 2 times and likely do the same this summer, lots of vehicle's towing on the TOW hwy which is gravel for about half way, tour busses use it all the time so it can't be that bad, a little dusty if it's hot and dry.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.