cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorado Route 149

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm laying out the second half of our upcoming road trip. We are traveling with our 26 ft Class C with a Ford Fiesta tow. I'm thinking about Route 149 from South Fork to the Lake City bridge. Also, I'm thinking about spending some time around Gunnison. I realize there is a lot to do in that area but there was some road work going on last year and I'm wondering if that is finished.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
4 REPLIES 4

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
If you go from 149 then east on 50 into Gunnison you'll avoid the road construction. You'll still be able to access the Blue Mesa reservoir, which is almost full.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great info as usual. Thanks
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
lbrjet wrote:
Don't know about construction, but it is steep and curvy coming down into Lake City so take it slooow. Beautiful drive.

+1 on steep. This is Slumgullion Pass you'll be going over, and the north side drop is the steepest paved road in Colorado with 9% grade. It drops rapidly over a relatively short distance, from 11500 ft to about 8600 feet. There's some tight curves and there's a few places to pull over if you need to cool your brakes.

ETA: The construction would be on US 50 west of Gunnison, specifically between Sapinero and Cimarron with closures. Check out cotrip.org for more info for the times/dates you'll be driving that area.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about construction, but it is steep and curvy coming down into Lake City so take it slooow. Beautiful drive.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000