cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Hwy 50 @ Monarch Pass

mustang071
Explorer
Explorer
Got a 40' Fifth Wheel towed by a Ram 3500 5.9- but NO exhaust brake. Is traveling east bound over Monarch Pass a safe option?
Stan & Ann-
with "Ranger Jack", the Guardian Sheltie
10 REPLIES 10

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the time, highly recommend stopping at the top of the pass for the Monarch Crest Tramway. H E R E is a link to the website for the aerial tram. Definitely worth it, the vistas at the top are what Colorado is all about.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

mustang071
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am encouraged since most of you are so positive about it. 'Guess it's time to give it a go.
Stan & Ann-
with "Ranger Jack", the Guardian Sheltie

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
East bound on Monarch is easy on brakes, if you watch your speed. Lots of passing area for, high speed cars, on that down hillside.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I consider Monarch Pass a routine drive. I've been over it both ways many times. My present rig is a 34' fifth wheel pulled by a Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 2500. Never a worry on Monarch.

The only pass I have bypassed so far is Slumgullion. I feel sure I could do it, but at almost 90 years old I think I will just let that one go.

Wolf Creek many times. Both Monarch and Wolf Creek have been improved since my first tow over them.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drove it to & fro last year and had no problems (30' 5th wheel). Just gear down and tap the brakes when needed.

I was a bit nervous about it but found it wasn't nearly as bad as people wrote/talked about.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
We did Monarch Pass east to west a few years ago in our 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E Workhorse towing a smart car. Going up we were doing about 25 mph in the right lane and going down we used the Grade Brake built in to the Allison transmission and kept the speed to around 35-45.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I towed over it several times with my old 1998 5.9. Yes you can do it.

If you arenโ€™t aware, there is major construction on 50 further west (between Gunnison and Montrose). Iโ€™d be more concerned about that than going over Monarch pass.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Martyn wrote:
Lived in Colorado for 30 years. I've done it with 29ft 5er and Ram 2500 5.9 CTD. No problem.

Had no exhaust brake but put it in 2nd on cruise at 30mph. Let it slowly speed up to about 50 then braked hard until back to 30. Repeat.

Saw me fine over that pass doing this.

Also going down Wolf Creek Pass but with boat added behind the 5er. Similarly on Vail Pass.

Just take it slow and careful and you will be fine. I found Monarch to be the easiest of the three.

Been over about every major CO pass with my 12,000-13,000lb, depending on water load, 5er.

The low gear, let it speed up, brake hard to slow right down, let it speed up while brakes cool, brake hard method works.

Only had smoking brakes a few times. Slumgullion Pass into Lake City was one occasion. Nasty pass that one.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Lived in Colorado for 30 years. I've done it with 29ft 5er and Ram 2500 5.9 CTD. No problem.

Had no exhaust brake but put it in 2nd on cruise at 30mph. Let it slowly speed up to about 50 then braked hard until back to 30. Repeat.

Saw me fine over that pass doing this.

Also going down Wolf Creek Pass but with boat added behind the 5er. Similarly on Vail Pass.

Just take it slow and careful and you will be fine. I found Monarch to be the easiest of the three.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
You could do it but you won't enjoy it. Traffic behind you won't care for it, either.

How 'low' does your lowest gear get?

I lived in Colorado for 22 years and towed over Monarch many times. I have seen several trucks that have gone over the side because they lost their brakes.

I would find another route.