cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chicago area routing help

h45wt
Explorer
Explorer
Need a little advice from the group. We are near Fergus Falls, MN on our way from home in Alaska to New England for the fall season. Looking at the map there is a lot of foolishness going thru Chicago and all the toll roads all the way to NY.

So my question is should we go north around the top of MI, put up with the Chicago madness or venture a little further south before heading east and then north?. I don't want to go thru Canada again because of border issues with food, etc so it's US only. No particular hurry as long as we get there before the leaves turn which might be a little late this year. We do mostly Walmart overnights until we get to the northeast.
03 Chevy 3500 LT DRW D/A CC LB 4x4
03 Lance 1130
14 REPLIES 14

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
This is the way I have gone when I don't want to mess with all the Chicago traffic and all the tolls. I have taken this way with my TT and my semi many, many times...

I 90 to IL then pick up I 39 south to I 80 into I 94 east to highway 2 east pick up 20east all the way to the Ohio line 49 south to 6 east around Sandusky 2 east to Free I90 east through the rest of Ohio Through PA....I86 east (they have repaired most all of it ) through southern NY to Binghamton, NY I 81 north (or stay on 81 to NY17 TO I 84 EAST TO CT then I 90 mass pike ) to I 88 N/E to the NY Thruway and into the Mass Pike.

The only toll will be a small one south of Chicago on I 80 and from Schenectady, NY on the NY thruway and then the Mass pike. Sounds complicated but it is a good way to go to avoid tolls and traffic. I have been running across that way since the early 90's Some 2 lane some 4 lane.

You'll also hit a toll on I90/I39 just inside the Illinois border.
Stu
Jayco King 8 PUP (1986-2014 - RIP, little friend :()

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
WDW.BWV wrote:
Romer1 wrote:
I 39 to I 80 to exit 151 on OH tpk which is 480 to 271. Unless you catch 80 around Chicago at rush hour, it's usually 55 -60 mph all the way. In June with I=Pass tolls for me were $46.71 thru IN & OH. Worth it to me for no lights, etc, plus having time constraints.

P.S. Avoid I 86 in NY at all costs

What's wrong with I-86.? With minor exceptions it's all been rebuilt, and the traffic is light. Am I missing something?

The section thru the Indian reservation is still terrible from a conversation I had with another camper in Watkins Glen in June. They had just come across it. They said the rest was much improved. When I drove it in 2014 it would shake your teeth out.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

WDW_BWV
Explorer
Explorer
Romer1 wrote:
I 39 to I 80 to exit 151 on OH tpk which is 480 to 271. Unless you catch 80 around Chicago at rush hour, it's usually 55 -60 mph all the way. In June with I=Pass tolls for me were $46.71 thru IN & OH. Worth it to me for no lights, etc, plus having time constraints.

What's wrong with I-86.? With minor exceptions it's all been rebuilt, and the traffic is light. Am I missing something?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Go through Upper Michigan. You might get enough fall color that you won't have to drive all the way to New England! 🙂 Have a good trip. Michigan is gorgeous.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
This is the way I have gone when I don't want to mess with all the Chicago traffic and all the tolls. I have taken this way with my TT and my semi many, many times...

I 90 to IL then pick up I 39 south to I 80 into I 94 east to highway 2 east pick up 20east all the way to the Ohio line 49 south to 6 east around Sandusky 2 east to Free I90 east through the rest of Ohio Through PA....I86 east (they have repaired most all of it ) through southern NY to Binghamton, NY I 81 north (or stay on 81 to NY17 TO I 84 EAST TO CT then I 90 mass pike ) to I 88 N/E to the NY Thruway and into the Mass Pike.

The only toll will be a small one south of Chicago on I 80 and from Schenectady, NY on the NY thruway and then the Mass pike. Sounds complicated but it is a good way to go to avoid tolls and traffic. I have been running across that way since the early 90's Some 2 lane some 4 lane.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer

Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
I-35 to I-380 to I-80 to I-39 to I-74 to I-70 to I-71 to I-90 adds about 150 miles to your trip without Chicago or tolls.

This but I would stay on I-70 to the PA turnpike to I-99 to I-80. Pa turnpike would cost you $12.80 cash or $9.05 if you have EZ-Pass.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from the TC Forum

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Bedlam
I-35 to I-380 to I-80 to I-39 to I-74 to I-70 to I-71 to I-90 adds about 150 miles to your trip without Chicago or tolls.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
I always avoid Chicago like the plague because of the traffic.

Yep. :E

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are going to New England and don't want to go through Canada, I don't think you will avoid the tollways across northern Indiana and Ohio. Well, Ohio at least.

I would try to avoid the interstates that go right through Chicago. On one hand, if you go during non rush hour, it would probably be fine. OTOH, why chance it, if you don't mind driving a bit farther. As mentioned above, you can take I-39 to I-80. It will be all rural until it isn't. 🙂 There is no good way for you to miss the heavy traffic around the bottom of Lake Michigan on I-80. But that stretch is a lot better than it used to be. Usually it is going at full speed but high density, for about 10-15 miles. Just pick a center lane and try to hang out there. Once past I-65 it's smooth sailing. That's about where you get onto the Indiana Tollway anyhow. There are two places to get onto the Tollway, you want the second one, which is around Lake Station IIRC. Just follow I-80 East.

I mean, sure you can go through Michigan instead. But you are adding a lot of miles, and non-interstate at that, so only you can decide that.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my way to Denver from Michigan. I went over the mighty Mac and on up along Superior and over to Lake Itasca Mn to the Mississippi headwaters just out of Bemidji mn. It was about 150 miles more to go through the UP to Denver and another 150 to veer off and up to the head waters. It's money well spent.

You can smell diesel fumes and pig poo or look at the shores of lake Michigan. Don't forget to stop at Cut river bridge. 🙂

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I always avoid Chicago like the plague because of the traffic. I just drove from Minneapolis to Watkins Glen NY. We stopped in Niagara Falls for 5 days and it was great. Going north through Michigan is OK adds about 140 miles over the other way, Mackinac Island is great if you have not been there

I take I39 all the way south and hit I80 near LaSalle Illinois smooth sailing all the way

Going east is another matter the tolls in Indiana, Ohio and New York were huge for us MH towing - might not be bad for you
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
The UP is always pretty. I would go that way.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride