Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cassiar Highway/Alaska Highway

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/abbenquesnel/29584299

If this guy can make it in January, so can you in summer time with your RV.
11 REPLIES 11

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The motorhome didn't suffer too badly on those winter trips. :B

Northbound at Liard Hotsprings on the AK Hwy

Southbound at Fort Nelson

A couple of days later at the ferry terminal waiting to cross home to Vancouver Island.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
I'll bet the scenery is at its best in winter ๐Ÿ™‚ but very few RVs are insulated well enough for severe winters. Too bad. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We made two winter trips to Yukon from Vancouver Island in a "3-season" 23' Class C, before we decided to move to Yukon forever:
- http://suethomas.ca/19981212_AlaskaHwy.html
- http://suethomas.ca/20011215_AlaskaHwy.html

Temps to -40.
Both grand adventures.
Looking forward to reading your journals and your web site! Thank you.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
I'll bet the scenery is at its best in winter ๐Ÿ™‚ but very few RVs are insulated well enough for severe winters. Too bad. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We made two winter trips to Yukon from Vancouver Island in a "3-season" 23' Class C, before we decided to move to Yukon forever:
- http://suethomas.ca/19981212_AlaskaHwy.html
- http://suethomas.ca/20011215_AlaskaHwy.html

Temps to -40.
Both grand adventures.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
All 8 of my rigs are RWD, I have yet to own a 4WD or FWD rig to this day....

Now I will say this :

No way I would drive a Corvette or any other RWD rig in the far north during the winter without snow tires at the minimum, especially climbing those type of hills along the Cassiar Hwy.

One of my most stressful winter long commute trips was driving the 73 Olds Cutlass from Fairbanks to Anchorage (Parks Hwy.) and back during Thanksgiving week 1998 in which this rig and my camper rig were the only two vehicles that had a sufficient heater to keep warm, as my Mom needed quality emergency preventive surgery as she refuses to fly on an aircraft, so of course it only had to snow during both commutes but didn't snow at all while in Anchorage until the final day leaving....

Equipped with the finest used summer tread tires anyone could roll on for under $75 for the set of 4, while having a full 3 inches of ground clearance, traction for winter driving was pretty much non existent.

Four inches of snowfall on the southbound trip between Healy and Houston while the semis crossing paths in the opposite direction were snowblinding me with either white snow or mud slush covering the entire windshield, leaving a much obstructed view to be desired until there was a nice safe pullout off the highway to clean the windshield enough to resume travel, although it was easier to deal with the 40 mph crosswind gusts upon reaching Wasilla with glazed to clear road surfaces.

Made matters worse on the return commute when there was 8 to 12 inches of snowfall to deal with, driving around 6 DOT snowplows between Anchorage and Talkeetna Junction is no easy task either with almost zero visibility of snow flying around the snowplows and cross traffic, stopped at Sunshine Creek to fill the gas tank as there parking lot wasn't plowed and gotten stuck 3 times trying to drive onto the highway (pick a groove going uphill) as I couldn't get enough momentum from a running start, once a low boy trailer semi drove onto the highway and flattened some snow, I followed it's path and finally made it on the highway.

Passing thru Chulitna Pass and those hills was nerve racking as I almost didn't make it up the hill past Honolulu Creek (broke traction twice), and the 9 percent grade hill just past the east fork wayside (barely had enough momentum left), drove non stop to Nenana as the road conditions were at least tolerable enough to drive on ok from the Teklanika Bridge on north...a trucker told me I was driving a coffin as he observed the car didn't have any taillights when he passed me earlier (taillight lenses were packed with snow) and didn't observe any car until right up on it (dark green body color and it was nightfall)....I sure felt blessed after passing two vehicles that had rolled over and sat upside down off the roadway.

My hats off to the guy driving that rig in some higher elevations with slick conditions somewhere along the way.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No thanks. Would not drive RWD anything in that. Need some more traction with front wheel drive? Get somebody to sit on the front & hold on.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Was someone saying they couldn't?
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
My little Honda Fit is usually our vehicle of choice when sightseeing in winter. The front-wheel drive makes a huge difference.

This was the Haines Hwy at the Haines Summit in early March 2013.

sue t.

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this car in Smithers. Guy looked like he was having a nap in the parking lot behind Pauls Bakery. I too figured he was pretty brave. Car was so low I was not sure he would even get out of the parking lot with the snow humps all around him.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
This person is certainly very brave (or stupid) - is this the right time to remind everyone that it was warmer in Anchorage during the cold snap than it was in Nashville and Atlanta.

Hope they had a safe trip and reached their destination without incident.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Paoli wrote:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/abbenquesnel/29584299

If this guy can make it in January, so can you in summer time with your RV.

Link