Some good news for traveling in Canada

Parks
12 REPLIES 12

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Another free one !!!
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

fortsmithman
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
Marsharini, We had a Parks Canada pass for 2015 and part of 2016. We used it when we went to Newfoundland and Labrador. It paid for itself and saved us some money as well.You still have to pay the camping fee, but you don't pay the entrance fee at the campgrounds.
It also gives you free admission to many Parks Canada attractions.
We will be getting another for this year when we head to Northwest Territories and Yukon.

You don't require an admission pass for Wood Buffalo National Park. The only fee you pay is for the camping spot, and firewood bundles.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nt/woodbuffalo/visit/tarifs_fees_e.asp?park=11

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
marsharini wrote:
If you're camping in Canadian National Parks, do you still have to pay an entrance fee? I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to get a pass for our trip to Alaska as we anticipate spending a great deal of time in the Canadian Provinces.

If you are planning your trip in 2017 you will pay no Park fees period except for the daily camping fee and maybe a campfire permit.

marsharini
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
Marsharini, We had a Parks Canada pass for 2015 and part of 2016. We used it when we went to Newfoundland and Labrador. It paid for itself and saved us some money as well.You still have to pay the camping fee, but you don't pay the entrance fee at the campgrounds.
We will be getting another for this year when we head to Northwest Territories and Yukon.

Thanks for the heads up. We did the same thing with US National Parks and it paid for itself.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

marsharini
Explorer
Explorer
If you're camping in Canadian National Parks, do you still have to pay an entrance fee? I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to get a pass for our trip to Alaska as we anticipate spending a great deal of time in the Canadian Provinces.

fortsmithman
Explorer
Explorer
Wood Buffalo National Park does not require one of these passes. I know I live next to the park and I have never needed one of these passes.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
pulsar wrote:

...........One might infer from that statement that it is the buying of the pass that make 2017 free.

Tom

I think that is where path1 got confused.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
path1 wrote:
weasel4 wrote:

Parks

For an instant, I thought what a great idea to attract tourists to Canada. Myself included as tourist. Turns out after reading the link the Canadian Gov't is going to give away to some what others have paid for.

?????

You pay for 2016, but not for 2017.

You don't have to pay in 2016 to get in free in 2017. The plan is that there will be no entrance fees for 2017 to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday.

On the other hand, those purchasing 2016 Parks Canada Discovery Passes are not paying extra; they are paying for 2016. The confusing arises from the wording on the pass; You will be pleased to find that your 2016 Parks Canada Discovery Pass is valid for a full two years rather than he typical 12 months. One might infer from that statement that it is the buying of the pass that make 2017 free.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda already done ,we buy one every other year as they last until the end of the month for the year purchased.(365 days + 30 days)
eg. we buy our pass in aug every year and it is good until end of aug the next year .So if your vacation is regular (mid aug) you can use the same pass until the end of the same month next year.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
weasel4 wrote:

Parks

For an instant, I thought what a great idea to attract tourists to Canada. Myself included as tourist. Turns out after reading the link the Canadian Gov't is going to give away to some what others have paid for.

?????

You pay for 2016, but not for 2017.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
weasel4 wrote:

Parks

2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"