cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA Hwy 1

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
Going to west coast in June. Plan to cut over from Hwy 101 to Hwy 1 just north of GG bridge and take it up to Leggett. I have a 40 ft MH with toad. I don’t mind the curves. What are my chances of getting stopped because of length. MH is actually 41 ft from end to end.
15 REPLIES 15

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
LaTriker wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. Reviewed the entire route on Google Maps and don’t see anything worse than some roads I have traveled in the past. Will have DW drive the toad for the first 50 miles or so the see how things go.

When I’m not sure of a route I “drive” the sketchy portions using Google Earth’s Street Level option. Saves me a couple times.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't been on the section south of Marshall in a few years and it was exciting. Otherwise no reason to disconnect IMHO. At the far north end there are several 15MPH switch backs.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Took this route southbound out of Leggett this last summer. Very slow road with tight hairpin curves very sharp drop offs right at the roads edge.. At that time, 3 washouts enroute that the state was working on and single lane passing over them. Had my hands full and that was with a 22 ft class C no toad. Stayed at Westport RV park that night. Right on the beach. Beautiful campground.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. Reviewed the entire route on Google Maps and don’t see anything worse than some roads I have traveled in the past. Will have DW drive the toad for the first 50 miles or so the see how things go.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Downtheroad, yes a Tiffin DP 38QRA and 20ft enclosed trailer. Total length was right at 65ft. There will be instances where you will be using both lanes. You have to be aware of what you are driving and watch for everyone else as well. In my opinion i disrupt the traffic no more than the bicycles do.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
LaTriker wrote:
Going to west coast in June. Plan to cut over from Hwy 101 to Hwy 1 just north of GG bridge and take it up to Leggett. I have a 40 ft MH with toad. I don’t mind the curves. What are my chances of getting stopped because of length. MH is actually 41 ft from end to end.
Over 40' is prohibited on almost all of US 1. You are over as it's actual length.

Your chances of being measured I'd guess are limited. But BE AWARE - if you are checked then not only are there tickets and fines and expect the rig to be towed. And if you are involved in an accident regardless of who's at fault???

We go to Bodega Bay using the good county roads but no longer go to Ft Bragg.

You've been advised.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
I would do it. Driven hwy 1 numerous times and yes there are some tight turns.

Just asking....were you driving a 40+ footer with a toad?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our 38' 5'r from the Golden Gate bridge north on the 1 many years ago and would NEVER do it again. At that time the sign stating "anything over 35' not advised" was after you were ON the 1. After many rude gestures from others and some hairpin turns we found a road going back to the 101. Don't do it

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Just providing link to official information.
It is up to the individual whether they want to take the risk.
Op"s MH is one foot over. I didn't see anything about total length.
Under the truck portion, it says 30 foot from king pin to rear axle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Might look at this from Caltrans site. Measure your coach!
Caltrans MH restrictions

The original poster’s MH with tow exceeds the Caltran’s limits by a foot.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I would do it. Driven hwy 1 numerous times and yes there are some tight turns.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Might look at this from Caltrans site. Measure your coach!
Caltrans MH restrictions

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Once pulled a popup up that road.
I would never do anything like that again especially in something long. You will have to stop on some curves and jockey to make the turn. All the while you'll be holding people up.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
You asked: What are my chances of getting stopped because of length. MH is actually 41 ft from end to end?

Chance are really good....and they will be doing you a favor if they stop you and turn you around...40 footer+toad on Hwy 1 is not a good idea. We have traveled it many times. Its more than just curvey, believe me.

anyway, have a good trip.

Maybe he has a death wish - there is a reason Caltrans has restrictions
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks