cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Birmingham I 65

Hiker52
Explorer
Explorer
Will be traveling thru Birmingham Al in about a week and I see that Google maps has a stretch of red on the south side of Birmingham. May want to overnite at the Birmingham South RV Park. Is this a closure or just a slow area for construction? Headed to FL and prefer to avoid Alanta.Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
If I have to go thru Bham with my trailer, I go around the east side of town instead of thru the middle. That concrete interstate thru town is very rough.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
If I have to go thru Bham with my trailer, I go around the east side of town instead of thru the middle. That concrete interstate thru town is very rough.

Last I was through B'ham it was so bad I thought I was going to blow a tire. It was the roughest stretch of road I have ever been on. Go around how ever you can find.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Just a little helpful hint. After you get past exit 246 you can go ahead and work your way into the right lane. About 3/4 of a mile or so before exit 242 a new right lane will start. Move into it and just keep moving into the right turn lane every time. If the traffic is backing up that will keep you moving and not surprise you with having to move over a lot of lanes.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We just went through there this afternoon heading south, right around 2:00. Traffic wasn't bad at all, I-65 is a bit "rough", not my favorite stretch of road for sure but we survived.

South of Birmingham we ran into lane closuers but it wasn't too bad at all, slowed to around 30 mph. WAY better than tight spots in Chicago! :B

Timing is everything, you'll do just fine. Having never driven through Birmingham and driving it today I'd say you'll ok. Good luck!

Dan

Hiker52
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I will try to beat the work traffic. Never like the rough roads but hopefully it will be Ok.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Hiker52 wrote:
Will be traveling thru Birmingham Al in about a week and I see that Google maps has a stretch of red on the south side of Birmingham. May want to overnite at the Birmingham South RV Park. Is this a closure or just a slow area for construction? Headed to FL and prefer to avoid Alanta.Thanks

Birmingham South RV Park is a very easy off and back on for you. Be advised that there is a lot of construction going on in Birmingham. Just try and stay in the 2nd from the left lane and you should be fine. Also construction from where you get back on for about 5 miles and will not be a problem. If coming through in the late afternoon time work traffic going south on 65 from Birmingham to there will be very bad. If you can make it before 3 or 4 you will be good. The good thing is in the morning all the traffic is going North on 65 to Birmingham.

EDIT: Sorry I did not answer the question. That red you see is just slow traffic. A lot of working people live south of town. (bless their heart)
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I don't go downtown near 20 or 59.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Downtown I 20 and I 59 is closed for the next 14 months. I 65 is open but can expect very high traffic conditions during work hours.
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I take I-20 and 459... I prefer a little further than the rough ride.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Hiker52
Explorer
Explorer
How do you go around Brm to the east? It looks like a ways if you go to 459? We were thru Brm a couple of years ago and I agree it was rough, is it worse now? Are there long delays. Probably be going thru apprx rush hour. Re: Atlanta. We will likely come home thru Atlanta but it will be on a Sunday.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer