cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route to St. Mary,Mt.

Red_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Will be traveling to St. Mary next month (from Helena). Campground host told me to take Hwy 464 from Browning to St. Mary instead of Hwy 89 due to ascents & descents on Hwy 89. Which route did you take (for those who have been to St. Mary). I will be pulling a 31' 5er with my 20015 GMC 2500 4X4. Appreciate your advice.
13 REPLIES 13

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
89 if you want gravel sections and delays for roadwork
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
I just came back from West Glacier yesterday and travel this route multiple times each year. We always use 464 and do not go on 89 even when not towing. The road (89) is scenic but very slow given all the turns and traffic.

Even with backtracking, you will arrive quicker by going 464, especially in the summer with all the traffic.

Try going into Google Earth and use Streetview to see the road. It might help with your decision.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Been there a few times - did the 89 once towing; learned my lesson. Use the 464!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up driving the mountain roads in Colorado and am used to windy twisty roads, but I definitely found 89 to be very tiring, and I was in a car, not towing. In fact, last time I came through Canada I decided to come down through Kalispell instead of Browning just to avoid that twisty slow narrow road. Didn't care for it and wouldn't want to tow on it.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We drove our 24 ft Class C over route 89 into St Mary a couple of years back. We went north out of Browning then west on Starr School Road to 89. This cut off some of the up and down, plus a number of curves on 89. It certainly wasn't a difficult drive going that way, just slow.

If you have Google Earth on your PC, you can preview the road from above before deciding whether you want to drive it.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Eh, I've done both and don't see the issue here.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the CG advice unless you like traveling a 25 mph.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US89 north of Browning crosses foothills, and was built long enough ago that they didn't try to straighten out the twists and turns. It doesn't go up and over some big mountain, it just keeps you busy at the wheel. And even in a car it can be tiring if driven at the end of a long day.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Red Eagle wrote:
Will be traveling to St. Mary next month (from Helena). Campground host told me to take Hwy 464 from Browning to St. Mary instead of Hwy 89 due to ascents & descents on Hwy 89. Which route did you take (for those who have been to St. Mary). I will be pulling a 31' 5er with my 20015 GMC 2500 4X4. Appreciate your advice.

I agree with the campground host. Have driven 89 several times in a truck but would not want to do it towing--it's a narrow road with sharp turns, steep climbs, and steep drop-offs with no railings in places.

It's a pretty drive, but do it without your 5th wheel.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
from west glacier we towed a 25 foot tag along trailer to St. Mary's over 89, didn't seem to be a big deal.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We took 89 in our previous 35' DP and would not recommend this road at all. Very, very narrow. Can't speak for 464 or 460...

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I took 464 based on a recommendation. it was fine.
bumpy

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer Hwy 460. Lots of others on the forum prefer this route also.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog