cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route To Santa Fe NM from Michigan

TEACUP
Explorer
Explorer
We have used MapQuest to route us from MI to Santa Fe NM. There are two options. One going through Kansas and the other going through Oklahoma. We are considering the latter. We are in a class A MH. Any concerns along this route?
17 REPLIES 17

TEACUP
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for the route that is the fastest and best for a Motorhome. We are looking at the route that goes through Oklahoma, no Mountains are best.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I will be doing a similar trip in a few weeks only from Chicago are to Phoenix and in a car not a RV. We have driven this a few times before in a car and truck with slide in camper. I like the northern route the best I 80 west and then down through Colorado. I have never tried the route through Kansas but have taken the route through OKC a few times I remember a turnpike that way but don't remember the cost. Weather will probably help us decide what route each way. I like to go one way there and another way back. Maybe we will try Kansas this time.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
North to the UP, US2 to Montana, US89 south

Why would you direct someone to go that far out of their way. From where I live in Mi that would double the miles compared to going through OK City

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken both I70 and I40 as well. The last time we took (reverse order) 285 north from Santa Fe to Alamosa, CO to see the great sand dunes. 160 east to 10 and then north on 71 to I70. LaVeta pass is quite easy and the whole route from Santa Fe to Walsenburg is very scenic.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Teacup. Welcome to the forums!

As you will soon learn, when you ask a question here you will get a dozen people who ignore your question and tell you to do it their way. They seem to need the self esteem boost they get by telling you what to do.

Now, to answer the question you actually asked: No, you will have no problems with your class A on the route you selected. You will probably hit some construction, but that would be true of any alternative routes as well.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the trip in reverse last year. Left Santa Fe on 412 to 54 to 400 to I-35 then I-70 to I-69.

The trip was peaceful but 54 and 400 were with no traffic and we had no services without going into some local towns.

Good route but not much on the way.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Be aware, they don't call it the "great plains" for nothing. It is greatly plain. Hours of fields and corn and cows.

Ah come on, we have weeds, cotton, wheat and horses now.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
As was mentioned earlier, it all depends on how you plan on making the trip and the timing. Going through Oklahoma is probably your shortest / fastest route, but some of those interstates are quite rough. If you have more time, I25 through Colorado is more scenic.
If you have a LOT more time, taking US highways instead of interstates is more relaxed, and you see a lot more of the country.
Have a good trip!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:

Can't go wrong with US-2, it's a beautiful route.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware, they don't call it the "great plains" for nothing. It is greatly plain. Hours of fields and corn and cows.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Should be ok either way.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Unless you are looking for fastest route, I would cross Kansas to Pueblo, continuing west to Poncha Springs, then south on 285 to Santa Fe. Scenic and no mountain passes of any note.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
I'd go through Colorado and south. Way more enjoyable ride than across Oklahoma and Texas. I have done both in the same trip, and I only go the Colorado route now.

x2

North to Taos, pick up I-25 and head to Colorado.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed