cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route from Winston Salem, NC to Dayton, OH? 40 or 77?

4fromOH
Explorer
Explorer
Which is the EASIEST route? 40 to 75, or 77/64/35? We've always gone 77, but someone told us 40 was better as far as towing over the mountains. We're towing a TT that weighs about 80% of our truck's tow capacity. Meaning it's a slow go up the mountain! Weather is calling for windy conditions which I don't love either?? Thanks for any advice!
2 REPLIES 2

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the Black Mountain climb from Old Fort toward Asheville is steeper than Fancy Gap I-77 climb.

• Black Mountain: average 6% grade for 5.5 miles
  • Fancy Gap: average grade 3.9% for 6.2 miles.

The Fancy Gap average is a little misleading. It is more gentle at the top and steeper at the bottom. The last 4 miles has an average grade of 4.5% to 5%.

The Pigeon River Gorge from North Carolina into Tennessee is much gentler - 3.5% grade over 20+ miles.

The I-40 route is 130+ miles longer than the I-77 route, but doesn't have tolls. Part of I-77 in West Virginia is a toll road.

We've done both directions and prefer I-40 to I-75. But we're usually in no hurry.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I have been both routes and I think 40 to 75 would be easiest concerning grades and curves. ALOT longer time wise and miles though. There is a long grade going up into Asheville. That is the worst one I think on the whole route. Its not quite as bad as the one out of Mt. Airy on 77 but close. Going thru the gorge west of Asheville is the curviest with down hill grades. You get thru all that then its fairly smooth sailing.