cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route from Myrtle Beach north to I-77

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will be leaving Myrtle Beach SP in the spring to MI and it looks like US-501 to 38 to Bennettsville then 9 and other local roads towards Charlotte NC and then I-77.

With a 36' Class A and toad is this the best or what would be recommended. Have not been in this area before but know I-77 north to where we are going.

Thanks for all the info and help.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi
7 REPLIES 7

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
ken56, if you are taking shortcuts to or from Myrtle Beach using SC little two-lane highways and bridges through the swamps, I just wanted you to know that alligator hunting season is on through October 8. There will be trucks and boat trailers parked anywhere along those roads after the hunters put in their “swamp” boats; not much room for parking because of very soft shoulders and some will use a piece of the highway. For example, Lake Marion has this past week given up two 13 footers (weighing approximately 650 lbs. each). You can imagine what it’s like getting those critters to shore and into the back of those trucks.

dalenoel wrote:
It does sound like 74 is the best route and the most direct. I researched it and some places the only reason it is not an interstate is because the shoulders are not 12 foot. Thanks all for the info I'll find out in April how good it is. Now I need to leave MI and go to AZ then FL

I have run from North Myrtle Beach to Charlotte and pretty much stayed on 74...
22-31-9-701-410-74 - - - I believe it was just shy of 4 hours that way
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does sound like 74 is the best route and the most direct. I researched it and some places the only reason it is not an interstate is because the shoulders are not 12 foot. Thanks all for the info I'll find out in April how good it is. Now I need to leave MI and go to AZ then FL

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
378 is decent 4 lane out of Myrtle but turns into 2 lane in places and even divided in places. It's not a narrow road really. Now, Ford truck guys suggestion to hit 74 isn't a bad suggestion either. I've been on the 701 and it's 2 lane but decent 2 lane. I pulled my 37 footer on it before. Stayed in Tabor City. That might be a bit more direct for you. Go up 501 and pick up the 701 up to 74.

Get to 74 and run it all the way into Charlotte. Hop on 77
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56, I see that 378 will only add 43 miles to the total trip to MI so it might be the best route. What type of road is 378? I don't mind not having interstates but do hate some of the back roads that are not wide enough for two class A's to pass each other.

I know I-77 from there as I built a plant in Newberry and it is a great area of the country.

Thanks for the info.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't a good expressway route out of Myrtle. Looking at Google maps I would take 378 over to Columbia and hit 77 there. It's good road through Conway and beyond. We are headed to Myrtle the first week of Oct.